No flag raised on the Cenotaph for D Day anniversary

27 minutes ago, Longcol said:

Did anything happen at the Cenotaph in Whitehall, or any others across the UK?

The Cenotaphs are there to remember all the war dead not just the ones on D Day. Today was a celebration of an event that began the end of Hitler and his Nazis.

5 hours ago, Yeah but said:

Whilst I don't personally go for all the ott stuff around commemorating ww1/ww2, preferring a low key approach, I think that raising a simple flag on the cenotaph at Barkers Pool would be appropriate and not to much trouble.

4 hours ago, LizzieBirdswrth said:

Good. Its all a bit too much all this "commemorating" of past wars. Why not call it what it is?

Indoctrinating people into risking their lives in rich mens wars and calling it "remembrance" and "patriotism" . The rich and the privileged get richer and more privileged whilst the commoner has to send their kids to die.

Sounds like a bad deal to me.

They was not commemorating any war, infact, they was condemning all wars, they was remembering the brave men who died in the war. commemorating any wars most certainly not. Lest we forget.

2 minutes ago, mrplodge said:

Total and utter farage propaganda bs. The flag is there and summat for nationalistic morons to make up.  This hate fueled crap is the norm. I was in town i saw the f in flag

I can't fully understand what your trying to say but there was no flag in Barkers Pool on the main flag pole.

Similar post re town hall no flag and saying how disrespectful council are, but flag was there. There or not in barkers pool no disrespect is being shown, it is just morons making a song and dance about nowt. I respect the soldiers that died but reading in to things as though a conscious decision was made is just annoying.

Edited by mrplodge
updated

4 hours ago, pattricia said:

So, we should have let Hitler rule the world then ?

WW2 was never about defeating Hitler. Look, i wont take this thread of a tangent, i have given my opinion and usually I am happy to leave it at that so I will say then and then leave this topic be.

Follow the money. The same people who funded the Allies war effort were the same who funded "The other side". As they say, History is written by the winners so its no wonder we are taught a warped version about WW2. The modern day is no different. The internet is a wonderful thing. So much information at the touch of a button. Use it. Dont be left ignorant believing what you were taught at school.

18 minutes ago, LizzieBirdswrth said:

WW2 was never about defeating Hitler. Look, i wont take this thread of a tangent, i have given my opinion and usually I am happy to leave it at that so I will say then and then leave this topic be.

Follow the money. The same people who funded the Allies war effort were the same who funded "The other side". As they say, History is written by the winners so its no wonder we are taught a warped version about WW2. The modern day is no different. The internet is a wonderful thing. So much information at the touch of a button. Use it. Dont be left ignorant believing what you were taught at school.

Don't believe all the conspiracy theory twaddle you read on the internet.

Fascism was about an ideology of a master race - not money. Thankfully it was defeated and hopefully will never rear its ugly head again.

Edited by Longcol

28 minutes ago, Longcol said:

Don't believe all the conspiracy theory twaddle you read on the internet.

Fascism was about an ideology of a master race - not money. Thankfully it was defeated and hopefully will never rear its ugly head again.

Well said !

9 hours ago, LizzieBirdswrth said:

You are entitled to your opinion but I don't think you realise that without the sacrifices of all the brave men and women who fought (and many died) for all our freedoms YOU would not have been free to voice any of the opinions you have so far posted.