Getting Fit

6 hours ago, Cyclone said:

It might be worth getting a check up with your GP if you feel like your performance is dropping for no reason, it could just be overtraining, but it might be something else that your GP can help with.

I realise that. Everything normal according to GP. 

On 26/06/2019 at 13:56, Ridgewalk said:

Cyclone you seem like a knowledgeable chap when it comes to these things. I've done lots of training since I was 19, i'm now 65. I've hammered my body continually through lots of varied exercises, including martial arts, and consequently picked up my fair share of injuries along the way. 

My current training regime, includes three hours martial arts per week, (full on GoJu Ryu karate training ) a heavy contact style, one session of Grit and one hour of Circuit training, plus quite a bit of personal training at the gym and outside. 

Do do you know anything about " overtraining" and how it presents ?

Apologies Jane for piggybacking onto your thread

Hi.

I have overtrained on a few occasions.

It creeps up on you over the weeks.

Used to do 3 or 4 HITT workouts a week and it was to much for me.Symptoms were not just physical apparently it puts a real strain on your nervous system and you start feeling short tempered and irritable your sleep is also affected. 

The most obvious physical symptom is the amount of mainly "niggly" injuries that stat appearing.

Particularly with running I have read a lot of training should be done at low intensity when not specifically training for an event especially on the long runs.Its also much more enjoyable!

Its worth remembering as you probably know you get stronger when you rest and muscles heal not when you work out so if you are not getting the rest you need you may actually be getting weaker!

Your body will probably be telling you when you are doing to much but you have to listen!

I am no expert but I I am a keen runner and cyclist and have been for decades.

Another thing I find works is to swop a workout for Pilates it really strengthens your core and makes you much more flexible and believe me you know you've done it after!

My current weekly training is 2 days slow longish run,1 day HITT  and 1-2 days pilates and rest the other days. I usually do some weights after each workout as I find doing a weights session on its own incredibly boring but thats just me! and the other days rest I also have a job where I am on my feet all day.

I am 54 and average around 1.50 half marathons.

Hope this helps!

Edited by Fudbeer

Best advice i can give on this is find something you enjoy and do it regularly. Set a goal (so if you enjoy running, maybe run a 5k, or if you enjoy football then maybe play a five a side game without being subbed off) and then plan out small steps to build up to your goal. It's not a complicated thing, set a goal, make a plan, stick to it even if you don't want to. Hope it all goes well!

On 27/06/2019 at 23:28, Fudbeer said:

Hi.

I have overtrained on a few occasions.

It creeps up on you over the weeks.

Used to do 3 or 4 HITT workouts a week and it was to much for me.Symptoms were not just physical apparently it puts a real strain on your nervous system and you start feeling short tempered and irritable your sleep is also affected. 

The most obvious physical symptom is the amount of mainly "niggly" injuries that stat appearing.

Particularly with running I have read a lot of training should be done at low intensity when not specifically training for an event especially on the long runs.Its also much more enjoyable!

Its worth remembering as you probably know you get stronger when you rest and muscles heal not when you work out so if you are not getting the rest you need you may actually be getting weaker!

Your body will probably be telling you when you are doing to much but you have to listen!

I am no expert but I I am a keen runner and cyclist and have been for decades.

Another thing I find works is to swop a workout for Pilates it really strengthens your core and makes you much more flexible and believe me you know you've done it after!

My current weekly training is 2 days slow longish run,1 day HITT  and 1-2 days pilates and rest the other days. I usually do some weights after each workout as I find doing a weights session on its own incredibly boring but thats just me! and the other days rest I also have a job where I am on my feet all day.

I am 54 and average around 1.50 half marathons.

Hope this helps!

Hi Fudbeer. Apologies for the late response. That's very helpful and informative thanks.

I've read that there is a percentage of people who have the opposite problem to those who do no exercise at all, or who are hard to motivate to do anything. I believe I'm part of the former group. The other thing that seems to fit with me is that my reaction to being heavy legged and fatigued is to assume I'm not doing enough so train more in the mistaken belief that I'm not fit and need to do more, further compounding the problem.

I'm always looking for new fitness classes to try, and my OH complains that I'm always at the gym.

Ive been abroad since early May, so removed from my normal environment and routine.

I've used the opportunity to relax and do lots of walking. 

My concern about over training was precipitated by having to stop six times on a relatively short run about four weeks ago as I felt completely exhausted, I actually believed I had angina !  However I've had two medical appointments, one with a Cardiologist, and both say that I'm "A" ok in that department.

Having rested for about 6 weeks I find I feel much better and the heaviness in my legs has gone. I'm walking faster and my other half has remarked on the difference in me generally.

i'd presumed it was down to my age, and obviously that's a factor, but it's looking now like I'd overtrained. I've been hammering my body non stop for years. Also significantly I had four episodes of colds over winter when normally I wouldn't get an at all. All signs of overtraining.

cheers

Edited by Ridgewalk

5 hours ago, Ridgewalk said:

Hi Fudbeer. Apologies for the late response. That's very helpful and informative thanks.

I've read that there is a percentage of people who have the opposite problem to those who do no exercise at all, or who are hard to motivate to do anything. I believe I'm part of the former group. The other thing that seems to fit with me is that my reaction to being heavy legged and fatigued is to assume I'm not doing enough so train more in the mistaken belief that I'm not fit and need to do more, further compounding the problem.

I'm always looking for new fitness classes to try, and my OH complains that I'm always at the gym.

Ive been abroad since early May, so removed from my normal environment and routine.

I've used the opportunity to relax and do lots of walking. 

My concern about over training was precipitated by having to stop six times on a relatively short run about four weeks ago as I felt completely exhausted, I actually believed I had angina !  However I've had two medical appointments, one with a Cardiologist, and both say that I'm "A" ok in that department.

Having rested for about 6 weeks I find I feel much better and the heaviness in my legs has gone. I'm walking faster and my other half has remarked on the difference in me generally.

i'd presumed it was down to my age, and obviously that's a factor, but it's looking now like I'd overtrained. I've been hammering my body non stop for years. Also significantly I had four episodes of colds over winter when normally I wouldn't get an at all. All signs of overtraining.

cheers

Sounds like me I find it harder to rest than exercise! 

I also had some minor chest pains which stopped when I cut down think I was overdoing it.

Your symptoms sound like classic fatigue through overdoing it we have to take care as we get older the fittest guy I have ever worked with has recently had a stroke and I suspect it may have been down to him overdoing it as he was rarely out of the gym, guess we just have to accept we are not 21 anymore!

Good luck.