Compulsory Bicycle Insurance - Yes or No?

13 hours ago, Pettytom said:

How do you get to pay £550 per annum in VED.

My two cars combined cost me £50.

Bigger engine than your two cars combined I guess.

12 hours ago, Pettytom said:

So do I. At least, one of my cars is more interesting than a Zafira. The other one is quite dull😀

I just thought it odd that someone who bangs on about reducing congestion/ pollution/ road  damage would drive something which attracts massive VED.  But then again, VED is very complex, so perhaps there is a different explanation 

No, I drive something with a large engine and 8 cylinders.  And I don't bang on about reducing pollution, except with regards to the fact that I cycle my commute and drive about 3k miles a year.

I could have a more efficient car and drive 20k miles a year, that wouldn't reduce pollution though would it.  And it would increase congestion and wear on the roads as well!

15 hours ago, Pettytom said:

So do I. At least, one of my cars is more interesting than a Zafira. The other one is quite dull😀

I reckon the various seating/storage configurations are more interesting in my Zafira than either of your cars.

Edited by Lockjaw

3 hours ago, Lockjaw said:

I reckon the various seating/storage configurations are more interesting in my Zafira than either of your cars.

😀

You are probably correct. All that boring acceleration and cornering ability is nothing compared to  seats  that adjust to accommodate multiple melodeons .

Drifting off point anyway, which is that cycling is good for society and so we don't want to raise barriers (like requiring insurance), instead we want to encourage it, for example by providing free insurance for everyone.

It is worth remembering that many home insurance policies cover you for 3rd party liability whilst doing activities, and cycling will be covered in this (as will being a pedestrian, or going about your day-to-day activities). There are specific exclusions for operating motor vehicles, but that is obviously covered under separate motor insurance.

19 hours ago, Pettytom said:

😀

You are probably correct. All that boring acceleration and cornering ability is nothing compared to  seats  that adjust to accommodate multiple melodeons .

Absolutely. 

And don't forget the multiple positions available to the parcel shelf.

1 hour ago, andysm said:

I don't think it should be compulsory, but any cyclist who doesn't have insurance could be just one accident away from becoming bankrupt.

The same is true of any pedestrian, or anyone at any time really.