Who next - new President of the European Commission?

26 minutes ago, horribleblob said:

Angela Merkel would be my choice.

Sounds like people are suggesting her. She hasn't campaigned for the job though. I dismissed Boris, as I assumed you had already to be in the EU parliament structure to go for the job.

I might give it a go, where do you apply?

18 minutes ago, Voice of reason said:

Sounds like people are suggesting her. She hasn't campaigned for the job though. I dismissed Boris, as I assumed you had already to be in the EU parliament structure to go for the job.

I might give it a go, where do you apply?

http://www.europarl.europa.eu/news/en/faq/8/how-are-the-commission-president-and-commissioners-appointed

I'll let you work out Boris' hypothetical chances, based on that procedure :lol:

Edited by L00b

25 minutes ago, L00b said:

http://www.europarl.europa.eu/news/en/faq/8/how-are-the-commission-president-and-commissioners-appointed

I'll let you work out Boris' hypothetical chances, based on that procedure :lol:

I know, there's no chance somebpdy from the eu's 3rd largest country could become president, it was a crazy crazy joke. 😲 😂

1 hour ago, Voice of reason said:

I know, there's no chance somebpdy from the eu's 3rd largest country could become president, it was a crazy crazy joke. 😲 😂

Have you seen the size of the country which the outgoing President is from?

4 minutes ago, L00b said:

Have you seen the size of the country which the outgoing President is from?

yes, seems odd you though the hypothetical chances of Boris being so small, and comical. He won't be, of course.

It doesn't seem to be the hot topic on the News or workplaces as you'd 'expect' for the main job in our democracy though??? 

yes, seems odd you though the hypothetical chances of Boris being so small, and comical. He won't be, of course.

The UK, as a member country, is entitled to name him.

But there would be nothing odd about a man of Boris' proven character, apparent integrity and political track record, never making the list of potential EU Commission presidentiables, even within that context.

Now, Sir Ivan Rogers, or Ken Clark...

It doesn't seem to be the hot topic on the News or workplaces as you'd 'expect' for the main job in our democracy though??? 

When did the EU Commission presidential election ever make the mainstream news, never mind water cooler chit-chat, in the UK?

I mean, other than when the MSM and social media were just echoing the latest and greatest Europhobic utterances about the function and/or Juncker personally? (I seem to recall that, until Cameron made noises about not wanting Juncker in the job, then failed to kick Juncker off the election at which point the issue went sceptic, few if anybody in t'UK seemed to be aware that the EU Commission even had a president).

Edited by L00b

32 minutes ago, L00b said:

The UK, as a member country, is entitled to name him.

But there would be nothing odd about a man of Boris' proven character, apparent integrity and political track record, never making the list of potential EU Commission presidentiables, even within that context.

Now, Sir Ivan Rogers, or Ken Clark...

When did the EU Commission presidential election ever make the mainstream news, never mind water cooler chit-chat, in the UK?

I mean, other than when the MSM and social media were just echoing the latest and greatest Europhobic utterances about the function and/or Juncker personally? (I seem to recall that, until Cameron made noises about not wanting Juncker in the job, then failed to kick Juncker off the election at which point the issue went sceptic, few if anybody in t'UK seemed to be aware that the EU Commission even had a president).

It doesn't, because the process is so far removed from our scope of control, it is a pointless discussion. Perhaps that says something??

32 minutes ago, Voice of reason said:

It doesn't, because the process is so far removed from our scope of control, it is a pointless discussion. Perhaps that says something??

Well, that depends on whether, by 'our control', you mean British control specifically, or EU citizen control.

The first definition translates a fundamental misunderstanding of what the EU is and how it works (I'm being charitable, and not attributing it to a misplaced sense of importance and entitlement, as is the case with very many Brexiteers).

The second is misconceived, because candidate Presidents are nominated by each country ('s elected government) and then elected by the entire assembly of democratically-elected Parlementarians. When the appointment of the UK's Prime Minister gets anywhere near as democratic as this, giz a shout ;)

Edited by L00b

• nikki-red changed the title to Who next - new President of the European Commission?
3 minutes ago, L00b said:

Well, that depends on whether, by 'our control', you mean British control specifically, or EU citizen control.

The first definition translates a fundamental misunderstanding of what the EU is and how it works (I'm being charitable, and not attributing it to a misplaced sense of importance and entitlement, as is the case with very many Brexiteers).

The second is misconceived, because candidate Presidents are nominated by each country ('s elected government) and elected by an assembly of democratically-elected Parlementarians.

I mean in general, not just British.

Macron (who is on 30% approval rating in his own country) is proposing Merkel. A more indirect democratic link is hard to imagine.