Deep Fake

12 minutes ago, Voice of reason said:

And how has that type of education changed? Do you think that was something taught in the past, but not now?

No, it has never been taught. 

The great and the good who decide these things, have never had any real interest in an educated populace other than enough to run things and provide a certain amount of innovation.

An educated population is a dangerous prospect for those who fear change.

22 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

No, it has never been taught. 

The great and the good who decide these things, have never had any real interest in an educated populace other than enough to run things and provide a certain amount of innovation.

An educated population is a dangerous prospect for those who fear change.

So, how would someone such as yourself become more informed, and be able to sort the wheat from the chaff,  whereas another person wouldn't?

4 minutes ago, Voice of reason said:

So, how would someone such as yourself become more informed, and be able to sort the wheat from the chaff,  whereas another person wouldn't?

Because I learned to read at four, was reading ‘grown up’ books by the age of seven, was interested in politics at the age of 13-14 and have probably read somewhere between three and five thousand books on all sorts of subjects. School taught me most national curriculum stuff but the vast majority of stuff I taught myself. I studied law and trained as a scientist so my information is very much evidence based and therefore very rigourous. As a result I never take anything at face value and will only believe something once I have satisfied myself that something is true or very likely to be true.

1 hour ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Education isn’t just a question of teachers and book learning it is also about how society sees itself and where it is going.

Too right.

Education is about getting the mix of book learning (that forms the bedrock of basic knowledge) and social mores (values of self, place in society and aspirations), right. Good parenting, in that respect, is as important as a good curriculum and a good delivery of it.

There's no such thing as anti-intellectualism in French, German or Luxembourgish schools, then (when I was in them 35 years ago) or now. Being a 'brain' is good, and to be emulated rather than derided.

But that was positively rampant in (OFSTED 'outstanding'-rated-) schools which my daughter frequented in S25/26/81 and Retford until Feb 2018, hand-in-hand with a plethora of parallel peer-driven psych issues (self-harming and stuff), which social media is turbo-charging.

On-topic: evidence-led critical thinking is the one skill that is crucial to master for discerning fake from real news. It is taught as standard in the French and Luxembourgish curricula, always has been. I don't think I ever saw any of it in my daughter's school or home work in the UK.

Edited by L00b

I get the impression that the OP was referring to this;

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ng-interactive/2019/jun/22/the-rise-of-the-deepfake-and-the-threat-to-democracy

ie. the ability of anyone with access to a PC and the internet (and a modicum of technical ability) to produce realistic but fake video.

Edited by Longcol

56 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Because I learned to read at four, was reading ‘grown up’ books by the age of seven, was interested in politics at the age of 13-14 and have probably read somewhere between three and five thousand books on all sorts of subjects. School taught me most national curriculum stuff but the vast majority of stuff I taught myself. I studied law and trained as a scientist so my information is very much evidence based and therefore very rigourous. As a result I never take anything at face value and will only believe something once I have satisfied myself that something is true or very likely to be true.

I think you might have the wrong forum whatsit, Top Cats Hat does you no justice, been an infant prodigy, maybe Einstein would be a better choice.

Angel1