Outdoor swimming/bathing opportunities in Sheffield.

http://www.millhousespark.co.uk/attractions/boats/

No lido, but there is basketball and putting, do they count? So yes, pretty much all you listed, so need to be confused.

Agree on the parent bit, getting outside with your kids, starting when they are very young is the right start.

Pretty much all I listed I dont think so, a flippin Basket ball court, and putting green. Booga loo! Dont suppose you remember The old real Millhouses before the Lido days, the Olympic size pool with high diving board. Days before this CRAP Council. :roll:

Basketball court is cheap stupid useless idea of politicians to make the younger generation happy again.

I don't think so. These kids today need a proper swimming pool just like todays cash tight idiots did when they were young.

When I was a kid I could grab my swim gear and go for an outdoor swim.

It's no wonder todays kids grab a knife, we have taken all great things away from them.

You still can. Plenty of places to go outdoor swimming in Sheffield. I grew up swimming in Treeton Dyke and other places around the outskirts.

But that's a very spurious link you've made. No swimming so grab a knife and go stabbing?

Aside from lidos in Sheffield, today's youth have the same things if not more than the youth of old.

Pretty much all I listed I dont think so, a flippin Basket ball court, and putting green. Booga loo! Dont suppose you remember The old real Millhouses before the Lido days, the Olympic size pool with high diving board. Days before this CRAP Council. :roll:

You've not been to Millhouses Park for many years, yet you know exactly what's there and what isn't there?

You know that even if the Council build a new Olympic size pool in the park, it won't be 1950 again don't you?

This thread seems to be full of old people who are the experts on what young people want. Guess what, you aren't and neither am I.

Every time we get a hot spell, there seems to be an increasing number of people, (particularly teens) that have fatal accidents, swimming in open waters.

In other European countries they have large man-made lakes, suitable for a variety of water sports. Some are privately owned and charge an entry fee, others are publicly owned and are free to use. In Germany, you never seem to be more than a short drive or bus ride away from one.

Instead of propping up private tennis clubs and opera houses, the national lottery should be funding these.

You still can. Plenty of places to go outdoor swimming in Sheffield. I grew up swimming in Treeton Dyke and other places around the outskirts.

But that's a very spurious link you've made. No swimming so grab a knife and go stabbing?

Aside from lidos in Sheffield, today's youth have the same things if not more than the youth of old.

Don't make me laugh. You don't know what plenty is.

When I lived in Toronto where they get very cold winters by the way and still had a proper outdoor swimmingpool in every area. For comparisons, Hillsborough would have one, Walkley, firth park, ecclesall, pitsmoor and many more free of charge funded by council tax. I lived at three addresses there with an outdoor pool right around the corner.

At least six outdoor pool should be the MINIMUM for a city the size of Sheffield and not just in the upper-class areas.

Problem with England is if they did that complaints would come that the rich are paying for the swimmingpool of the poor. That is what England is, better no outdoor swimming pool at all.

At least six outdoor pool should be the MINIMUM for a city the size of Sheffield and not just in the upper-class areas.

Come on now :rolleyes: we get good weather a few weeks a year, you want someone to go to the expense of putting 6 outdoor pools in? :hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi:

You've not been to Millhouses Park for many years, yet you know exactly what's there and what isn't there?

You know that even if the Council build a new Olympic size pool in the park, it won't be 1950 again don't you?

This thread seems to be full of old people who are the experts on what young people want. Guess what, you aren't and neither am I.

I never claimed to be an expert on what youngens want, Im saying we could do with an out door pool. my god if little Hathersage can do it why cant the CITY of Sheffield do it. :roll:

Don't make me laugh. You don't know what plenty is.

Problem with England is if they did that complaints would come that the rich are paying for the swimmingpool of the poor. That is what England is, better no outdoor swimming pool at all.

Actually, I do because I'm an outdoor swimmer and have been since a child.

Perhaps you should do a bit of research to find out why the UKs passion for swimming is waning, and why the many outdoor lidos and pools have closed since the 60s and 70s. What works for other countries doesn't work here. I thought you'd have at least figured that out.

Yes, they're popular on a very hot day like we're having at the moment. But as soon as the temperature drops below 15'C or its a cloudy and windy day, they're deserted.

Actually, I do because I'm an outdoor swimmer and have been since a child.

Perhaps you should do a bit of research to find out why the UKs passion for swimming is waning, and why the many outdoor lidos and pools have closed since the 60s and 70s. What works for other countries doesn't work here. I thought you'd have at least figured that out.

Yes, they're popular on a very hot day like we're having at the moment. But as soon as the temperature drops below 15'C or its a cloudy and windy day, they're deserted.

If they made an heated open air pool. Not turning the heat on till winter time and a Wimbledon centre court style closing roof. There you go. Problem solved.:hihi: