Outdoor swimming/bathing opportunities in Sheffield.

Germans are completely different. You will not find a town in Germany like Sheffield without at least two outdoor pool. Some people here think that outdoor pool needs to be a bit like some entertainment park.

Just a simple concrete square 2 m deep 8 lane 50 m long tiled on the surface with a diving board and a grass field around it will do.

Problem is here in England you have to keep the social classes separated. In germany they all go to the pool.

You really do talk some rubbish.

Some people here think that outdoor pool needs to be a bit like some entertainment park.

No - people in the UK WANT that kind of thing. That's why indoor pools have developed with saunas, tube slides and inflatable "fun" sessions on certain afternoons.

Just a simple concrete square 2 m deep 8 lane 50 m long tiled on the surface with a diving board and a grass field around it will do.

There's far more to running a pool than that.

Problem is here in England you have to keep the social classes separated.

Again, total rubbish. You have absolutely no idea what you're on about with regard to UK swimming.

People tell me I'm talking rubbish.

Then where is this pool? Remember Heathersage doesn't count. Don't pretend as if you are an expert on this, I haven't lived in a place without a outdoor pool till I came to Sheffield.

Its simple, there is no pool because there is no all year round demand to justify the cost.

Lidos in the UK died a death in the 60s and 70s and 80s due to failing demand and vandalism - why go to a cold, neglected outdoor pool when there are lovely shiny, warm modern indoor pools everywhere that were easier to manage and keep secure at night. Only a few managed to struggle on and are now enjoying a renaissance.

The UK only has a small number of dedicated outdoor swimmers (not the ones just wanting a one-off cool down during a hot spell) and they make do with the current lidos and outdoor swimming spots. How many here would make the effort to go to Hathersage all year round?

I don't need to "pretend I'm an expert" because like it or not, in this subject I am.

I'm a regular outdoor swimmer and have been since a child and discovering Treeton Dyke. I'm active on the main outdoor and wild swimming Facebook pages and have organised lots of group swims. In fact I'll be out swimming after work.

Maybe we should become friends instead of bickering and start action together to get one outdoor pool to begin with in Sheffield. It doesn't need to be some high-tech thing.

Lane swimming, diving board, outdoor shower to rinse before and after swim and a small building for changing with lockers. Sauna is not needed can do that at the gym that is not outdoor thing.

I like Sheffield very much and would appreciate if we had one.

---------- Post added 05-07-2018 at 13:18 ----------

Alresearch

I was at the busstop heathersage two years ago after a long cool walk early in the year. And there was this woman there at the bus stop so happy she had an outdoor swim.

Im not joking that really happened, she rather came out there to swim outdoor than indoor at her gym.

Edited by dutch

People tell me I'm talking rubbish.

Then where is this pool? Remember Heathersage doesn't count. Don't pretend as if you are an expert on this, I haven't lived in a place without a outdoor pool till I came to Sheffield.

You are talking rubbish.

The pool doesn't exist because the weather we're having right now is extremely unusual and the demand for an outdoor pool simply doesn't exist.

If it did, and we didn't have public facilities, then a business would open them privately. Businesses aren't interested in class divides, they're interested in profit. But a pool that is basically unusable for 9 months of the year isn't a profit making venture.

Hathersage pool is of course open all year, but only recently;

http://www.hathersageswimmingpool.co.uk/swim-us-year-round/

And appears to be largely funded by takings, supplemented by the Parish council and charity and fundraising events.

The seasons and weather were I lived before are the same as here.

Maybe you think there is less demand because English are not swimmers like the other three countries I have lived in. We're I was educated swimming was a mandatory part of every child education.

You don't know what you are missing.

Maybe you think there is less demand because English are not swimmers like the other three countries I have lived in. We're I was educated swimming was a mandatory part of every child education.

Now that's something I can agree on and will support. Swimming lessons at school are almost non existent now.

And not a week goes by without another poor lad being dragged dead out of a lake, pond or quarry. Its nearly daily at the moment:

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/984266/Boy-dead-drowned-lake-Nottingham-Colwick-Country-Park

At least the message of what to do has changed from "don't go in the water" to "float to live" - how to survive if you are struggling.

https://www.respectthewater.com/

The seasons and weather were I lived before are the same as here.

You don't know what you are missing.

You're leaping to wild conclusions. I enjoy swimming, and I believe it is part of the curriculum in most if not all schools.

It's the free market that is telling you that outdoor pools aren't popular, not me. The fact that they don't exist should be evidence enough that people aren't willing to pay to use them.

Maybe we should become friends instead of bickering and start action together to get one outdoor pool to begin with in Sheffield. It doesn't need to be some high-tech thing.

Lane swimming, diving board, outdoor shower to rinse before and after swim and a small building for changing with lockers. Sauna is not needed can do that at the gym that is not outdoor thing.

I like Sheffield very much and would appreciate if we had one.

---------- Post added 05-07-2018 at 13:18 ----------

Alresearch

I was at the busstop heathersage two years ago after a long cool walk early in the year. And there was this woman there at the bus stop so happy she had an outdoor swim.

Im not joking that really happened, she rather came out there to swim outdoor than indoor at her gym.

Do you think you could open one and make it profitable?

Unfortunately I'm a better swimmer than accountant. There is more to life than money. But in England that seems to be the only thing that matters in society and its needs.

I do think a single outdoor pool would be used a lot this time of year.

Clearly not by forum users here but many people will use it including myself and other friends. Student will use it.

So far I see weird things here like a society that uses old trains at the highest prices and thinks an outdoor pool is not needed because it costs too much money.

Yet calls anyone who says waky waky a weirdo. I think you are the weirdos with expensive old trains and no outdoor pool not wanting one either. Once you get one it will be used and appreciated. If you do it for profits and money I am no expert but am certain it can be done somehow without society going bankrupt.

Where I come from its different, this forum clearly shows me the fear of outdoor pools in this country. Maybe swimming up and down the pool is too boring for people here. Where I come from almost every one does it. On a summer day the outdoor pools are full there. Here they are counting their money.