Outdoor swimming/bathing opportunities in Sheffield.

You've got rother valley country park and, no doubt quite a few other parks have lakes and or ponds. There are literally hundreds of purpose built fishing ponds around Sheffield.

Ponds for fishing maybe, but generally speaking, swimming in ponds can be very dangerous indeed, unless they have been designated as suitable. People are constantly being warned about swimming in lakes, quarries, reservoirs and ponds. I wouldn't know which ones, if any, were safe.

I"m not a fisherman, but I believe they charge to fish em..

Indeed anything from a fiver up for commercial ponds. I know a chap who owns a few and he aint poor!

---------- Post added 06-07-2018 at 00:24 ----------

Ponds for fishing maybe, but generally speaking, swimming in ponds can be very dangerous indeed, unless they have been designated as suitable. People are constantly being warned about swimming in lakes, quarries, reservoirs and ponds. I wouldn't know which ones, if any, were safe.

You wouldnt have given a monkeys though when you were a slip of lass you would have just jumped in. An old dam near my mums is strictly fishing only. Old folk remember there being a diving board there!

Unfortunately I'm a better swimmer than accountant. There is more to life than money. But in England that seems to be the only thing that matters in society and its needs.

I do think a single outdoor pool would be used a lot this time of year.

Clearly not by forum users here but many people will use it including myself and other friends. Student will use it.

So far I see weird things here like a society that uses old trains at the highest prices and thinks an outdoor pool is not needed because it costs too much money.

Yet calls anyone who says waky waky a weirdo. I think you are the weirdos with expensive old trains and no outdoor pool not wanting one either. Once you get one it will be used and appreciated. If you do it for profits and money I am no expert but am certain it can be done somehow without society going bankrupt.

Where I come from its different, this forum clearly shows me the fear of outdoor pools in this country. Maybe swimming up and down the pool is too boring for people here. Where I come from almost every one does it. On a summer day the outdoor pools are full there. Here they are counting their money.

You've entirely missed the point. Which was that if a pool could be run without needing public money, then it would already exist.

So, we've established that it will need public money. Now, you might not have noticed, but the tories have been cutting funding to local councils for years now. SCC is strapped, they can barely afford to have the bins emptied. We only got road resurfacing because they made a faustian deal to allow the majority of roadside trees to be removed.

So what service should be cut to provide a SINGLE pool that will be used lightly for most of the year.

PS - most of the students have gone home. My class which normally has 20 - 30 students in it during term time had 6 last night.

You've entirely missed the point. Which was that if a pool could be run without needing public money, then it would already exist.

So, we've established that it will need public money. Now, you might not have noticed, but the tories have been cutting funding to local councils for years now. SCC is strapped, they can barely afford to have the bins emptied. We only got road resurfacing because they made a faustian deal to allow the majority of roadside trees to be removed.

So what service should be cut to provide a SINGLE pool that will be used lightly for most of the year.

PS - most of the students have gone home. My class which normally has 20 - 30 students in it during term time had 6 last night.

Tories will waste lots of money on HS2 to save few minutes.

If everyone had to put a penny towards an outdoor pool every time they say "Brexit" they would be digging to build one now.

Jetstream settled well north of England and we are going to get a fair reasonable summer.

Outdoor pools are not always profitable but pay largely for themselves charging a small fee. In winter they are drained and put to rest till the next season.

Edited by dutch

Outdoor pools are not profitable but pay largely for themselves charging a small fee. In winter they are drained and put to rest till the next season.

Depends on the pool and location. Many can't survive on just their entrance fee alone, and that's why there are so few around now.

Ikley Lido for example:

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/analysis/liquid-asset-needing-investment-1-2581074

Shap Pool needed grants from Sport England.

many other pools are "kept open dependent on donations, fundraising, grants and the goodwill of volunteers, local businesses and visitors."

Edited by alchresearch

Because you want some fancy entertainment waterpark when it gets hot only.

The pools I am talking about are a simple rectangular place to swim up and down or dive from the board. What you call a swimming pool here I call those a waterpark. It is not same thing.

I often see when they have nothing at all they want a whole waterpark. My suggestion is to start with a simple normal pool.

Because you want some fancy entertainment waterpark when it gets hot only.

The pools I am talking about are a simple rectangular place to swim up and down or dive from the board. What you call a swimming pool here I call those a waterpark. It is not same thing.

I often see when they have nothing at all they want a whole waterpark. My suggestion is to start with a simple normal pool.

No generalisation there at all eh?