Gentleman Jack

Lex Luthor

It started well but its getting a bit slow now as if the writers dont know where to go with it  Hardly anything occurred in   episode 6 which we watched  last night on catch up  We almost switched off due to (yet again) loud intrusive  dramatic music which drowned out dialouge at times I wish the people that do this would come and sit and watch it on a normal TV  to hear just how loud  and innappropriate it is . 

I've been watching it and it's OK, but very slow.  Sally Wainwright normally packs a ridiculous amount of plot into her writing. Too much sometimes - the second series of Happy Valley went bananas on the plot-front, to the extent that some of the sub plots got a bit lost. With Gentleman Jack she's gone to the other extreme.

I tried to watch the first episode but Surrane Jones got on my nerves trying to talk posh.  Pointless really as this is Northern based and she is a flipping Northerner.  Her part would have come across off a lot better if she had stuck with her own accent  .:huh:

2 hours ago, Olive said:

I've been watching it and it's OK, but very slow.  Sally Wainwright normally packs a ridiculous amount of plot into her writing. Too much sometimes - the second series of Happy Valley went bananas on the plot-front, to the extent that some of the sub plots got a bit lost. With Gentleman Jack she's gone to the other extreme.

It's hard to pack a lot of plot into anything if you're working from the diaries of a real person.  Anne Lister was the first recognised lesbian and there is a blue plaque recognising this on the church in York where she and Ann Walker committed their lives to each other.  Real life doesn't mirror fictional drama for the level of intrigue and speed of plot turnover I'm afraid, but when you consider how amazingly feminist and outstanding Anne Lister was for her generation, it's really rather stunning.

Shibden Hall is just off the A58 if you drive from Halifax towards Leeds.  The grounds are now a lovely park with a boating lake and a great cafe. 

Family live near by, and it was my niece and nephew's favourite place to play in when they were younger.  They also attended Shibden school.