Gentleman Jack

Lex Luthor

I’m thoroughly enjoying Gentleman Jack. Thank heavens for Anne Lister’s diaries, which nearly got destroyed.  What a woman of her time she was, living in a mans world.  From the age of 7 she wrote in her diary every day, the intimate parts of her life she wrote in code. 

I’ve never been or heard of Shibden Hall until the programme started, it’s a place I would like to visit.  

I love the closing theme song at the end of each episode.  it’s a catchy little number.

Like others have said, it started really good but seems to have lost its way a little bit. I love it when they say things like "I'm leaving for London on Monday, I should be there by Thursday afternoon".  Makes you realise how slow life was in those days when you can now get to Australia in 24 hours. That would have really blown their minds!!

9 minutes ago, hauxwell said:

I’ve never been or heard of Shibden Hall until the programme started, it’s a place I would like to visit.  

Yep, its certainly put it on the tourist map.

Gentleman Jack boosts Shibden Hall visitor numbers by 700% with fans jetting in from USA

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/news/tv/gentleman-jack-boosts-shibden-hall-16342854

8 minutes ago, AMR67 said:

Like others have said, it started really good but seems to have lost its way a little bit. I love it when they say things like "I'm leaving for London on Monday, I should be there by Thursday afternoon".  Makes you realise how slow life was in those days when you can now get to Australia in 24 hours. That would have really blown their minds!!

Yes I have to agree it made me think about travelling in those days and also what were the roads like?  

3 minutes ago, alchresearch said:

Yep, its certainly put it on the tourist map.

Gentleman Jack boosts Shibden Hall visitor numbers by 700% with fans jetting in from USA

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/news/tv/gentleman-jack-boosts-shibden-hall-16342854

I’m sure I will be another tourist visiting Shibden Hall and the park at some stage.  It’s got to be good for the area, hopefully all these tourists spending their money.

Guest makapaka
12 hours ago, PRESLEY said:

I tried to watch the first episode but Surrane Jones got on my nerves trying to talk posh.  Pointless really as this is Northern based and she is a flipping Northerner.  Her part would have come across off a lot better if she had stuck with her own accent  .:huh:

Shes the owner of a manor house though - complete with servants, groom and butler - I don't think she would have spoken like you suggested.

1 minute ago, makapaka said:

Shes the owner of a manor house though - complete with servants, groom and butler - I don't think she would have spoken like you suggested.

I agree with you  :thumbsup:  but the forced accent on this occasion  I think didnt suit her.  Just my opinion.   I watched Doctor Foster and thought she sounded ok.  Unlike Sean Bean,  my god! he sounds terrible even worse when he tries to talk posh. The old saying springs to mind,   You cant make a Silk Purse out of a Sows ear.  :hihi:

15 hours ago, medusa said:

It's hard to pack a lot of plot into anything if you're working from the diaries of a real person.  Anne Lister was the first recognised lesbian and there is a blue plaque recognising this on the church in York where she and Ann Walker committed their lives to each other.  Real life doesn't mirror fictional drama for the level of intrigue and speed of plot turnover I'm afraid, but when you consider how amazingly feminist and outstanding Anne Lister was for her generation, it's really rather stunning.

Shibden Hall is just off the A58 if you drive from Halifax towards Leeds.  The grounds are now a lovely park with a boating lake and a great cafe. 

Family live near by, and it was my niece and nephew's favourite place to play in when they were younger.  They also attended Shibden school.

Anne SLister's a fascinating character. She grew up in Market Weighton, where I'm from. We went to Shibden Hall a couple of years ago,  it's an interesting place to visit.

I just think the series could have been structured better. I wouldn't have expected Sally Wainwright to stretch it out over so many episodes, given how compact her writing normally is. Even if it's based on real events, a drama still needs a decent structure, story arc etc. The series isn't bad, just not as well written as I'd have expected.

Edited by Olive