Speed Limit On Sheffield Parkway Set To Be Cut?

6 minutes ago, redbig said:

Fine as in "that's fast enough". I'm discussing the 50 zone, as clearly stated. I never said it was speeding, I do 70 on it, and if it was reduced to 60 is have no problems with it, especially in rush hour

Hmmm... :huh:

... and that's another thing! :rant:

Can anyone explain to me why it's called 'rush hour' when it's clearly the time of day when everyone seems to decide to drive as slow as possible? :confused:

My god this thread has well and truly come off the rails. 

The antagonists are are so desprate to give a wind up they have started arguing with themselves.

WiseOwl182 I admire your attempt to try and maintain sanity to this debate but we lost him man.....   Just chuck a blanket over it.....  it's gone.  

Edited by ECCOnoob

4 hours ago, crookesjoe said:

It's boring mate, when people post and use words like 'sophistry', it just alienates people. I'd say 90% of people don't even know what 'sophistry' even means. 

You would come across better if you just spoke like a normal person, no need for the faux fancy vernacular.

So we should dumb down our posts because you and/or have no inclination to improve your own vocabulary? 

The mere suggestion is astonishingly asinine. 

On 20/07/2019 at 08:16, redbig said:

No I'm not misunderstanding it, I do between 50-60 on it (in the 50 zone) and that's plenty on that road, in my opinion.

Yep, and I'm talking about the 50 zone where 50-60 is fine, in my opinion. But mine doesn't count because old Cyclone can't have his driving skills questioned 

You've tried to strawman everyone then.  Nobody has talked about doing 70 in the 50 zone, nor is there a proposal to change the  speed limit for the 50 zone.  Driving at 50 in the 50 zone isn't too slow, nobody has said it is.

On 19/07/2019 at 13:33, redbig said:

70mph is too fast on the parkway, 50-60 is about right. 

Just to remind you, this is how you launched in, on a thread that is specifically talking about the 70 mph section of the parkway.

You then proceed to argue for several pages before coming out with the gem that you don't even drive on the section being discussed and are in fact talking about a different part of the road to everyone else.  You then seem to think that this is every else's problem and not yours.

10 hours ago, Cyclone said:

You've tried to strawman everyone then.  Nobody has talked about doing 70 in the 50 zone, nor is there a proposal to change the  speed limit for the 50 zone.  Driving at 50 in the 50 zone isn't too slow, nobody has said it is.

Just to remind you, this is how you launched in, on a thread that is specifically talking about the 70 mph section of the parkway.

You then proceed to argue for several pages before coming out with the gem that you don't even drive on the section being discussed and are in fact talking about a different part of the road to everyone else.  You then seem to think that this is every else's problem and not yours.

Strawman ? Nope, no idea. 50 is fine for the 50 bit, as it would be in the 70 bit if the experts reduced it. Or I could just nerd it up like you quoting absolute nonsense because you think your driving skills preclude you from such decreases. 

It is everyone else's problem, not mine, since if the 70 limit was reduced I'd have no problems with that. But feel free to quote how many top gear magazines you've read which should give you a pass from the upcoming speed limit cut.

1 hour ago, redbig said:

Strawman ? Nope, no idea. 50 is fine for the 50 bit, as it would be in the 70 bit if the experts reduced it. Or I could just nerd it up like you quoting absolute nonsense because you think your driving skills preclude you from such decreases. 

It is everyone else's problem, not mine, since if the 70 limit was reduced I'd have no problems with that. But feel free to quote how many top gear magazines you've read which should give you a pass from the upcoming speed limit cut.

But the limit in the Rotherham section isn't 50 currently, it's 70. 50 is not fine in a 70, it's overly cautious and causes other cars to make manoeuvres. It displays a lack of driving competence.

14 minutes ago, WiseOwl182 said:

But the limit in the Rotherham section isn't 50 currently, it's 70. 50 is not fine in a 70, it's overly cautious and causes other cars to make manoeuvres. It displays a lack of driving competence.

It also shows a lack of situational awareness and a lack of care and thought towards other road users, due to the manoeuvres they need to make to get past, as WiseOwl182 rightly says.

If you're driving something that can't get beyond 50 (a loaded HGV or a wide load for example), then that's fine but if your vehicle can achieve the limit then you should do so if traffic conditions permit, it's just good, polite driving.

If you're an experienced driver, you will doubtless have encountered a slow moving wide load on a motorway. These things tend to take up two lanes and chug along at 50/60 at best. You'll frequently find a queue of traffic extending back a considerable distance, (sometimes miles), as other traffic queues to get past it in the remaining lane. The same principle occurs if someone drives at 50 in the nearside lane on the 2 lane 70 section of the Parkway.

13 hours ago, redbig said:

A strawman is where you introduce a point that nobody has made, pretend that they DID make it, and then proceed to argue against it.

I've no idea how my driving skills are relevant to the proposed reduction, perhaps you could explain?

There isn't an upcoming cut, there's a proposal which we're discussing and which seem to have failed to make any points about whatsoever instead preferring to just attack me.

16 hours ago, WiseOwl182 said:

Yes I know, and if it was reduced the 50 that would be fine (in my opinion), I'm not saying it's fine to do 50 in the 70 zone