Speed Limit On Sheffield Parkway Set To Be Cut?

On 06/07/2019 at 13:40, PRESLEY said:

No advantage to driving slower :huh: safety springs to mind. :suspect:

Of course, so you'll be driving at 5 mph for safety reasons with a man in front of car waving a flag from now on?

Or perhaps you'd consider the speed limit to be safe, in appropriate conditions of course...  Like today, traffic quite light, weather good, we came down the parkway earlier, I wasn't even driving, but we still did 70 until the 50 zone, as did most of the traffic.

6 hours ago, ads36 said:

1) there's usually a queue at each end of the parkway, there's little point going faster.  Reducing the limit won't have any effect on journey times.

2) the sliproad up from Darnall is short, and uphill, and has a short merging lane.  I'm surprised it's into a 70 zone, not surprised we're talking about reducing the limit.

3) people live beside this road. Reducing the limit seems like a civilised thing to do. 

There's only ever a queue during the rush hour.

So that leaves the vast majority of the time without a queue.

There are very few houses next to the 70 zone and they're set quite far back with screening.  Most of the length of the 70 zone is next to only industrial estate, AMRC or fields.

And the final stretch from Catcliffe to the M1 gets busier by the day with the AMRC and Waverley complexes expanding..... what does need changing is the lanes at the end of the Parkway and timing of the lights around the M1 roundabout.

35 minutes ago, darylslinn said:

And the final stretch from Catcliffe to the M1 gets busier by the day with the AMRC and Waverley complexes expanding..... what does need changing is the lanes at the end of the Parkway and timing of the lights around the M1 roundabout.

The signals are operated by Highways England.

Rotherham Council have a scheme in development for providing extra capacity on the parkway at that junction.

1 hour ago, darylslinn said:

Bang on...;)

2 hours ago, Cyclone said:

Of course, so you'll be driving at 5 mph for safety reasons with a man in front of car waving a flag from now on?

Or perhaps you'd consider the speed limit to be safe, in appropriate conditions of course...  Like today, traffic quite light, weather good, we came down the parkway earlier, I wasn't even driving, but we still did 70 until the 50 zone, as did most of the traffic.

There's only ever a queue during the rush hour.

So that leaves the vast majority of the time without a queue.

There are very few houses next to the 70 zone and they're set quite far back with screening.  Most of the length of the 70 zone is next to only industrial estate, AMRC or fields.

Speed kills. :thumbsup:

25 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

You stay entirely stationary all the time then for safety reasons?

Stick to your push bike you sound like an accident  waiting to happen in a vehicle Infact use public transport let someone with an ounce of common sense drive you aroud. :loopy:

37 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

You've decided that driving at 70 mph on a NSL dual carriageway is an "accident waiting to happen"...  One of us clearly shouldn't drive, but it's not me.

I drive at what I think is a safe and reasonble  speed, there is a saying,  and its, There are drivers and screw drivers.  :roll:

2 hours ago, PRESLEY said:

I drive at what I think is a safe and reasonble  speed

And like most people I think "safe and reasonable" in the NSL section of the Parkway is 70 mph (outside rush hour). Done it hundreds of times, no accidents, no near misses.