Sheffield Clean Air Zone

I'm just chatting with the Chairman of ALPHA, Lee Ward (he runs a taxi association in Sheffield)

and let me read, and allow to share a potential mistake on the web page and the email shot.

The site says this:

What we’re proposing to do

To reduce pollution as fast as possible, we need to introduce a clean air zone. This will charge the most polluting vehicles for entering the city centre.

Under these proposals, we need the most polluting taxis, vans, HGVs, buses and coaches to upgrade. These are currently 20% of the vehicles on our roads but cause 50% of the NO₂ pollution.  To help support people who depend on a vehicle for their livelihood, we are proposing  range of support packages.

email: (sorry doesn't copy and paste well)

Subject: Re: Join the Clean Air Conversation
To: <alerts@subscriptions.sheffield.gov.uk>

This email is not factual in regards to pollutants caused by bus, taxi, private hire, Van's and lorries.
The total percentage for these vehicle fleets is 19% not 20%
The pollution contribution is 12.5% and not 50%
Please recall that email due to the serious discrepancies noted and email again with factual figures.
Thank you
Lee

I've tried to work out what the correct wording should be, I think is correct:

original on site: These [taxis/buses/goods] are currently 20% of the vehicles on our roads but cause 50% of the NO₂ pollution.

My alteration: These are currently 19% of the vehicles on our roads but cause 12.5% of the 50% of the NO₂ pollution that transport generates in the city.

This sounds more accurate. About 1/5th of the vehicles cause 1/4 of the pollution. So consequently 4/5th cause 3/4 of the pollution. If this isn't enough to say that YOU'RE ALL NEXT, I don't know what is.

Edited by *_ash_*

13 minutes ago, *_ash_* said:

I'm just chatting with the Chairman of ALPHA, Lee Ward (he runs a taxi association in Sheffield)

and let me read, and allow to share a potential mistake on the web page and the email shot.

The site says this:

email: (sorry doesn't copy and paste well)

I've tried to work out what the correct wording should be, I think is correct:

original on site: These [taxis/buses/goods] are currently 20% of the vehicles on our roads but cause 50% of the NO₂ pollution.

My alteration: These are currently 19% of the vehicles on our roads but cause 12.5% of the 50% of the NO₂ pollution that transport generates in the city.

This sounds more accurate. About 1/5th of the vehicles cause 1/4 of the pollution. So consequently 4/5th cause 3/4 of the pollution. If this isn't enough to say that YOU'RE ALL NEXT, I don't know what is.

So, as we expect from this council, twisted, incorrect 'facts':rant:

50 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

The bolded bit - so how are hackney drivers supposed to fund this - out of thin air?

I've just received this message from Alpha, which I've seen in full (i.e. a whole breakdown of the number of years left before Hackney vehicle retirement, but to put it short, as no one is interested in the full figures! :hihi:

In 2021 when this comes into force.. 800 of the 857 WAV will not be able to work due to the extra overheads. The 50 or so that will work will not be there 24/7 and during the day will be busy with NHS contracts... leaving all other W/C bound people without transport

For me, even best estimates is that not many will buy the new cab.

No one has yet (individually) and they've been out for a year or do.

Any individual who pays 65k for a cab in Sheffield, is deluded, IMO. I can't see any taking this up. Not one.  Each year the number will go down as vehicles retired, until just a few companies leases. Easier to get a Euro 6 diesel LGV with wheelchair access (but no ability to hail) - as these (even though same as current euro taxis, ARE exempt.

15 hours ago, *_ash_* said:

I'm definitely interested in the bus numbers. I have no idea, but a rough guess would be somewhere around 300 per day enter the CAZ. The maths will then be interesting when looking at what it will cost them, and what their current profits are. That should give us a good indication of potential price rises.

I think you might be amazed by how many trips there actually are per day.

All the local authorities in South Yorkshire collect cordon count data on one day per year to provide a consistent data set. It's organised by SYPTE.

You can find the data for each year on here: https://www.cyclesheffield.org.uk/sheffield-transport-data/

Underneath the mode share for 2018 table, there's a link ot download the data set.

Transport Poverty be like...there's not enough people in their private vehicles...

Let's have a Consultation, to increase 'pollution' created by the General public, and Sheffields clogged arteries...with people sat around doing nothing for hrs on end. 

What exactly did Sheffield City Council do prior to this Consultation...20mph zone whilst understanding 'vehicle emissions generally increase at lower speeds'...did they change traffic light settings improve traffic flow... 🤦🏽

1 hour ago, Cyclone said:

They would only pay once per vehicle per day right though?  No matter how many times it enters and leaves the zone?

Yes thats what I understand.

and does this not just effect vehicles that do not meet emission standards, so Euro 6 diesel and Euro 4 or 5 petrol??  

I believe that is the system Leeds is going for, so Taxi drivers in a Euro 6 diesel car will not have to pay?

4 hours ago, geared said:

Yes thats what I understand.

and does this not just effect vehicles that do not meet emission standards, so Euro 6 diesel and Euro 4 or 5 petrol??  

I believe that is the system Leeds is going for, so Taxi drivers in a Euro 6 diesel car will not have to pay?

They will in Sheffield, but other cities haven't opted for that.

6 hours ago, Planner1 said:

I think you might be amazed by how many trips there actually are per day.

All the local authorities in South Yorkshire collect cordon count data on one day per year to provide a consistent data set. It's organised by SYPTE.

You can find the data for each year on here: https://www.cyclesheffield.org.uk/sheffield-transport-data/

Underneath the mode share for 2018 table, there's a link ot download the data set.

I can only see number of journeys, not the number of vehicles used to transport them. (as one payment per bus per day)