Sheffield Clean Air Zone

20 minutes ago, sibon said:

I think we could leave the dual carriageways at 40.

So your journey time shouldn't be affected.

Ive never understood the reduction of speed to 60mph on the Sheffield stretch of the M1

No one else really does it

Just seems to be virtue signalling from our council 

Just now, Jack Grey said:

Ive never understood the reduction of speed to 60mph on the Sheffield stretch of the M1

No one else really does it

Just seems to be virtue signalling from our council 

Local councils dont control speed limits on motorways. That would be the Highways Agency.

Edited by HeHasRisen

@sibon the dynamics of traffic are indeed a fascinating topic. For instance, yesterday, uncharacteristically for me, I drove 408 miles, with 8 hrs  5 mins at the wheel - you can do that maths.

Before I set off, Google Maps gave me a time . You probably find the same as me, that their times are spookily accurate since they have billions / trillions / googles(!) of historic and live data points and the processing power to crunch them into a mind-bendingly simple answer for simple drivers. Google obviously assumes a maximum speed of 70mph but you might assume I went a little faster sometimes, which might  have been quite a lot of the time when travelling outside of rush hours.

Over the eight hours and 408 miles I saved a mere 6 minutes against the estimate. Speed really isn't worth the damage it does to everything except egos.

11 minutes ago, Jack Grey said:

It's because you go faster and there are fewer accidents. 

It's also due to pollution levels but that's probably not going to convince you of anything so just be happy that a 60mph speed limit means that the traffic  moves more quickly and safely.

The same goes for 20mph limits in urban areas. You go faster.

Edited by Tony

19 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Local councils dont control speed limits on motorways. That would be the Highways Agency.

Are you sure?

The M1 is 193 miles long why would the Highways Agency pick Sheffield for a reduction in speed?

I thought the clean air zone on the M1 was implemented by SCC

But im probably wrong 👍

Just now, Jack Grey said:

Are you sure?

The M1 is 193 miles long why would the Highways Agency pick Sheffield for a reduction in speed?

I thought the clean air zone on the M1 was implemented by SCC

But im probably wrong 👍

My mistake, its now called Highways England. Still, its their baby:

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/transport/motorway-speed-limit-be-cut-m1-sheffield-and-rotherham-new-fines-speeders-2969695

Local authorities have no responsibility for motorways and some other major trunk routes such as the A1.

Edited by HeHasRisen

29 minutes ago, sibon said:

A friend of mine developed some traffic modelling software quite a few years ago, for Sheffield University.  His initial aim was to track the movement of sperm to improve fertility treatments. It tùrns out thst sperm and cars behave in similar ways. There's a lesson for all of us right there.

So we can expect lots of baby cars soon?

2 hours ago, sibon said:

I'm not against a reduction in speed limits at all. My post was more to question Jack's arithmetic.

In general, keeping things moving is much  better than stop start, as @BigAl1 says above.

Traffic movement is a complex thing though, and I doubt that simply reducing the speed limit will make much difference. It's not as though you can travel at 30 for very long now.

A friend of mine developed some traffic modelling software quite a few years ago, for Sheffield University.  His initial aim was to track the movement of sperm to improve fertility treatments. It tùrns out thst sperm and cars behave in similar ways. There's a lesson for all of us right there.

I've used software for modelling discrete product flows on production lines. Not unusual to find that slowing down results in a greater throughput, mainly due to the lack of stop/start of conveying, and acheiving a constant flow. Seems like a very similar situation to a road, but some heads are just too stubborn or unwilling to understand.

28 minutes ago, Bargepole23 said:

I've used software for modelling discrete product flows on production lines. Not unusual to find that slowing down results in a greater throughput, mainly due to the lack of stop/start of conveying, and acheiving a constant flow. Seems like a very similar situation to a road, but some heads are just too stubborn or unwilling to understand.

This is very much old news. This lies behinds the whole concept of variable speed limits on “smart” motorways.

On 09/11/2021 at 10:30, Jack Grey said:

Put my fees up?

I shouldnt have to pay as i live in the clean air zone i dont work in it

I already pay for fuel, insurance, road tax and parking.....which are all taxed with levies and VAT

How can they justify another tax? Especially after a pandemic.

And in the greenest city in the UK 😡

On 09/11/2021 at 10:31, HeHasRisen said:

As above - my understanding is the clean air zone is the area bounded by (and including) the inner ring road. Park Hill flats isnt in the inner ring road and you can get to the car parks without actually driving on the inner ring road.

And yes, put your fees up, if you are self employed and you currently work for (as an example) £20 an hour, you tell your employer you want £21 an hour to cover the new fee., but again this is only if you drive through the area. I am not convinced you actually live within it anyway

HeHasrisen, I think what Jack Grey is saying is that, for example, if he moves a vehicle from outside the CAZ, and for example the next job is on the A57 Crosspool or something...

how would you personally drive this journey without incurring a £10 penalty? 

This is a reasonably simple journey using the ring road, and he wouldn't need to enter town. With the charge, people will have to find other longer ways, and areas around town will become more congested.