Sheffield Clean Air Zone

On 26/10/2021 at 19:30, iansheff said:

The council have decided that from late 2022 that certain vehicles will have to pay to go into the city centre, some buses and HGVs will be charged £50 per day to drive within the inner ring road, with some taxis being charged £10. Private cars and electric or greener vehicles will be exempt. 

Sheffield City Council said. The move will encourage drivers to choose and upgrade to cleaner vehicles, I wonder how long it will be before private cars are then included in the scheme.

Sheffield city centre Clean Air Zone approved - BBC News

You can buy an electric car for £50,000 so I don't know what the problem is.

Sell one of your homes, boom, theres £200,000 in your back pocket.

On 26/10/2021 at 19:30, iansheff said:

The council have decided that from late 2022 that certain vehicles will have to pay to go into the city centre, some buses and HGVs will be charged £50 per day to drive within the inner ring road, with some taxis being charged £10. Private cars and electric or greener vehicles will be exempt. 

Sheffield City Council said. The move will encourage drivers to choose and upgrade to cleaner vehicles, I wonder how long it will be before private cars are then included in the scheme.

Sheffield city centre Clean Air Zone approved - BBC News

I see 'some buses' are included in this. Surely using public transport/buses is to be encouraged if they are wanting to reduce emissions, so why would they charge buses? 

And as Roget says, most people will not be able to afford electric vehicles, so decent inexpensive public transport will be essential. 

I just cannot understand this council's thinking...  

Edited by Anna B

12 minutes ago, Anna B said:

I see 'some buses' are included in this. Surely using public transport/buses is to be encouraged if they are wanting to reduce emissions, so why would they charge buses?  

I dont think First and Stagecoach would have many non-compliant vehicles anyway, and the ones they do would be shipped off to other areas once this comes in, or to operate routes that dont enter the ring road (not sure if many of those exist, mind).  So its not really going to impact them. The reason is because old buses emit a hell of a lot of crap.

As I said earlier on this thread it may affect the very small bus providers who operate ancient vehicles. Are those ancient school service double deckers still knocking about?

Edited by HeHasRisen
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Anna B said:

because otherwise there's no incentive to replace the old diesel buses with something newer/cleaner.

Bus companies *are* buying newer/cleaner buses, the CAZ puts Sheffield on their priority list.

Edited by ads36

Sheffield city centre is not busy at all it must have one of the quietest city centres of where I have lived. It is dying out like crazy. Many people leaving it and not coming back and now money hungry council is going to give it another pushback with this useless tax. We went shopping in leeds last week, even the homeless seemed wealthier and better off there and were served warm food on the sidewalk.

Taxing buses is going to be paid by those people who are having hardest time out there now causing more problems and suicides killing more people than a little unclean air would.

6 minutes ago, dutch said:

Sheffield city centre is not busy at all it must have one of the quietest city centres of where I have lived. It is dying out like crazy. Many people leaving it and not coming back and now money hungry council is going to give it another pushback with this useless tax. We went shopping in leeds last week, even the homeless seemed wealthier and better off there and were served warm food on the sidewalk.

Taxing buses is going to be paid by those people who are having hardest time out there now causing more problems and suicides killing more people than a little unclean air would.

It is nothing to do with the Council being “money hungry” at all. 

The government have told the Council they MUST introduce a clean air zone to improve air quality. The government have also given the Council the money to do it. The Council  have no choice in the matter.  

As others have said, buses won’t actually be paying any charges. The bus companies are constantly renewing their fleets and will just prioritise Sheffield for some vehicles which are compliant and don’t incur any charge. Transport companies are exactly the same. That’s what happened in places where CAZ’s have already been introduced. ( Bath is one example). 

Hackney cabs get grants to help with the cost of getting a new vehicle or retrofitting to become compliant. 

Cars are exempt.

The Council won’t actually collect huge amounts of money from the charges and compliance levels will increase rapidly as soon as it comes into operation. Once compliance with the required air quality standards has been achieved and maintained over a couple of years, Councils will decommission the CAZ’s. The money that Councils get from the charges goes into a ring-fenced account to ensure the money is available for decommissioning when the job is done. 

28 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

It is nothing to do with the Council being “money hungry” at all. 

The government have told the Council they MUST introduce a clean air zone to improve air quality. The government have also given the Council the money to do it. The Council  have no choice in the matter.  

As others have said, buses won’t actually be paying any charges. The bus companies are constantly renewing their fleets and will just prioritise Sheffield for some vehicles which are compliant and don’t incur any charge. Transport companies are exactly the same. That’s what happened in places where CAZ’s have already been introduced. ( Bath is one example). 

Hackney cabs get grants to help with the cost of getting a new vehicle or retrofitting to become compliant. 

Cars are exempt.

The Council won’t actually collect huge amounts of money from the charges and compliance levels will increase rapidly as soon as it comes into operation. Once compliance with the required air quality standards has been achieved and maintained over a couple of years, Councils will decommission the CAZ’s. The money that Councils get from the charges goes into a ring-fenced account to ensure the money is available for decommissioning when the job is done. 

If it was not for the charge government would not have cared at all about the air. They are using money as a vice grip to pretend to do something good, why can't they do it without separating the richer people from the poorer classes of society again. 

There will be many people who are disadvantaged by these rose-coloured plans. Cars and buses are getting cleaner already and there is no need for government to pretend to be some holy clean air saint all of a sudden.

I bet that more people will die by way of suicide and depression because of being disadvantaged by these governments than would have been by breathing sheffields air the way it is today.

Edited by dutch