Sheffield Clean Air Zone

I mean it's strange. 

We didn't have an issues and levels were within the limits a few years ago and it seemed that it was holding naturally. 

Then SCC embarked on a campaign to remove hundreds of trees around the city.

Shortly afterwards levels started to increase above the limit.

I wonder if there's any causal link?......

Guest busdriver1
4 hours ago, Resident said:

I mean it's strange. 

We didn't have an issues and levels were within the limits a few years ago and it seemed that it was holding naturally. 

Then SCC embarked on a campaign to remove hundreds of trees around the city.

Shortly afterwards levels started to increase above the limit.

I wonder if there's any causal link?......

Closing many side roads forcing ALL traffic onto less roads goes a long way towards building up hot spots. I wonder where air measurements are taken, near these hot spots by any chance?

3 hours ago, busdriver1 said:

Closing many side roads forcing ALL traffic onto less roads goes a long way towards building up hot spots. I wonder where air measurements are taken, near these hot spots by any chance?

And keeping through traffic out of side streets improves local road safety and environment.

Easy enough to find the info on the council website if you’re really interested.

We have automatic air quality monitors sited at:

• Tinsley Infant School - measuring fine particles (PM10 and PM2.5) and nitrogen dioxide
  • Lowfield School - measuring fine particles (PM10), sulphur dioxide and nitrogen dioxide
  • King Ecgbert's Old School Site - measuring fine particles (PM10), ozone and nitrogen dioxide
  • Wicker - measuring fine particles (PM10), ozone and nitrogen dioxide
  • Fir Vale School - measuring fine particles (PM10), sulphur dioxide and nitrogen dioxide
  • Waingate - measuring fine particles (PM10) and nitrogen dioxide

In addition there are 2 sites owned by the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA). These are stationary sites in the city centre and Tinsley.

The city centre one is at Devonshire Green.

Edited by Planner1

3 hours ago, Planner1 said:

And keeping through traffic out of side streets improves local road safety and environment.

Easy enough to find the info on the council website if you’re really interested.

We have automatic air quality monitors sited at:

• Tinsley Infant School - measuring fine particles (PM10 and PM2.5) and nitrogen dioxide
  • Lowfield School - measuring fine particles (PM10), sulphur dioxide and nitrogen dioxide
  • King Ecgbert's Old School Site - measuring fine particles (PM10), ozone and nitrogen dioxide
  • Wicker - measuring fine particles (PM10), ozone and nitrogen dioxide
  • Fir Vale School - measuring fine particles (PM10), sulphur dioxide and nitrogen dioxide
  • Waingate - measuring fine particles (PM10) and nitrogen dioxide

In addition there are 2 sites owned by the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA). These are stationary sites in the city centre and Tinsley.

The city centre one is at Devonshire Green.

How long before this one is used as an excuse to include private cars in the CAZ because it's always rammed with takeway drivers, using private cars. 

Also I'm sure I saw a monitor station not long back at Weston Park? 

1 hour ago, Resident said:

How long before this one is used as an excuse to include private cars in the CAZ because it's always rammed with takeway drivers, using private cars. 

Also I'm sure I saw a monitor station not long back at Weston Park? 

Has it escaped your notice that the majority of vehicles on the road are private cars? So, there will be lots of them at all the monitoring locations, not just that one.

If the council felt that it was necessary to include private cars, they would have.