Just Eat, But At What Price?

I've just ordered a curry from the 5 Star "Spice Villa" on city road, not really wanting to pay cash I looked to ordering it from the "Just  eat" web site. The spice Villa's menu states delivery is free over £10.00 but Just eat charge £1.99 for delivery plus their normal charge of 50p, that's some profit for not doing a lot. Needless to say I'm paying cash. 

57 minutes ago, PIP said:

Just eat charge £1.99 for delivery plus their normal charge of 50p, that's some profit for not doing a lot. 

I suspect that Just Eat’s business model assumes that someone too lazy to go and buy their own takeaway probably wouldn’t bat an eyelid at paying £2.50 for someone else to do it.

Whenever I go to McDonalds, half the queue are these bloody deliveroo and Just eat delivery drivers. I often see them parking in disabled bays when its busy or in any non-parking spot place!

Edited by Nightbird

26 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

I suspect that Just Eat’s business model assumes that someone too lazy to go and buy their own takeaway probably wouldn’t bat an eyelid at paying £2.50 for someone else to do it.

11 minutes ago, Nightbird said:

Whenever I go to McDonalds, half the queue are these bloody deliveroo and Just eat delivery drivers. I often see them parking in disabled bays when its busy or in any non-parking spot place!

You do both realise that ordering takeaway food is an entirely voluntary process, don’t you?

So you can hardly complain when other people order using different mechanisms, at different prices.

Cook your own food and all these “problems” will disappear 

1 hour ago, PIP said:

I've just ordered a curry from the 5 Star "Spice Villa" on city road, not really wanting to pay cash I looked to ordering it from the "Just  eat" web site. The spice Villa's menu states delivery is free over £10.00 but Just eat charge £1.99 for delivery plus their normal charge of 50p, that's some profit for not doing a lot. Needless to say I'm paying cash. 

any "delivery charge" specified on the Just Eat website is set by the restaurant, the only charge Just Eat add is the 50p charge which used to only be for card payments, but they changed it so it's on every order over a year ago!

1 hour ago, Ghozer said:

any "delivery charge" specified on the Just Eat website is set by the restaurant, the only charge Just Eat add is the 50p charge which used to only be for card payments, but they changed it so it's on every order over a year ago!

The 50p "service" charge became so because as of January 2018 it became illegal to penalise via extra charges to use their card. 

So JE just made it  a universal charge to circumvent it. 

The service charge is just pure scamming profit as JE charge the business per order too. 

Personally I only use JE as a digital menu. 

I then call the place & either opt for collection if I don't have enough cash on me or delivery if I do. 

7 minutes ago, Resident said:

The 50p "service" charge became so because as of January 2018 it became illegal to penalise via extra charges to use their card. 

So JE just made it  a universal charge to circumvent it. 

Since charging for credit card transactions was outlawed in January of last year, lots of businesses have come up with ‘creative’ ways to replace the lost revenue.

13 hours ago, Ghozer said:

I'm sorry your wrong there, I phoned the takeaway and was told it was a charge put on and kept by "Just eat"  she (the takeaway) never got a penny from it and that delivery was free on orders over £10.00. I ordered while I had her on the phone and it was delivered Toll free. I paid for the meal only. On another note - I wonder on the legality of charging for something which is nothing to do with you.

14 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Not necessarily lazy. Young kids in bed, cant drive, too drunk, disabled, too busy etc etc 

2 hours ago, PIP said:

I'm sorry your wrong there, I phoned the takeaway and was told it was a charge put on and kept by "Just eat"  she (the takeaway) never got a penny from it and that delivery was free on orders over £10.00. I ordered while I had her on the phone and it was delivered Toll free. I paid for the meal only. On another note - I wonder on the legality of charging for something which is nothing to do with you.

How could Just Eat make any money if they did not charge extra for delivery?!