Harold MacMillan

9 hours ago, davyboy said:

This is an article on Osteomyelitis, which I had, and the life saving penicillin, which I was given, injections four times a day for 4 weeks.

That was an insightful bit of history on the early days of the National Health.

Thank heavens for the National Health and antibiotics.  I’ve had my fair share of them but they cured my problems.  It was a lot of money £300 in those days for drugs. I bet not many people gave much thought about the cost of the drugs, they would have just been grateful they didn’t have to pay for them.  

I can remember my granny telling me that the doctor didn’t always charge her if she had to call him out for my mum.  

We don’t know how lucky we are today.

I suppose if you were from a wealthy background with never a thought as to where the money was coming from, life would have looked particularly good.

Meanwhile down a coal mine inBarnsley my father would have been on the coal face, sharing his " snap" with mice, risking his neck every day and getting  emphysema in the process.

Reminds me of the Tory Chancellor, who famously remarked " unemployment is a price worth paying ".