Sheffield gales 1962

I feel pretty sure it was. What a winter. I remember it well.

Our 1st child was born on Dec 8th 1962.The Ist few weeks of her life was the bad winter and deep snowdrifts.There was a shortage of fuel and deliveries, due to the adverse conditions,but because we had a tiny baby we were given priority by the local authority to receive an adequate supply of coke to heat our home.

• 2 weeks later...
I was living in Manners Street, Neepsend behind Stones brewery when the gale hit. What sticks in my mind was my dad donning a world war 2 helmet to go to the outside lavvie, our chimney depositing itself on my sisters bed minutes after she had gone to get in to bed with my parents and being evacuated to a church on burngreave (can't remenber the name but its on the main road to Spittal hill) for a few nights.

Now then...I must know you.

I lived at 26 manners St. at the time of the Gale,and was evacuated to the church (I remember being on Panorama) AND went to Woodside Primary. I'm in Australia now.PM me

It has been mentioned in another thread about the terrible gale that devastated Sheffield in the 60s, it sprang up in the mid afternoon, and carried on into the following day, an imense amount of damage was done, with the city centre looking like the night of the blitz. Does anyone have any memories of this, I was working at a shop on Glossop rd at the time called Sharmans, a slate from a property across the road smashed the main window and glass was scattered all over the shop, luckily, no one was hurt. Amazingly, the path of the gale seemed to hit Sheffield only, and hardly any surrounding town was touched.

I was up Eastbank Road the following day and there were trees and debris all over the place. I woman approached me and my friend in a real panic and asked if we had seen a bin lid with no 18 painted on it - honest !

i remember the sheffield gale my mother kept me off of school that day .ican remember my older brother having to go and rescue his vespa scooter from two gardens away .i.the next day we visited my aunt who lived on the arbourthorne the prefabs near the arbourthorne hotel were completley flattened the gale also blew off our chimney pot

the flying garage as mentioned in an earlier thread was right my aunt lived in prince of wales road and i can remember her telling me about a garage that had took flight from a couple of gardens away at schoolwehad to do an essay on the sheffield gales and i can remember telling this tale i was ten at the time

I'm new to this whats a PM

Hi SIXSIGMA

If you look at the left hand side of the messages you will see a title bar "Forum Content" with "Private Messages" below. Just click on it and you will then see several choice one of which is "Send A New message".

You can also just click on the user name and choose from the list displayed.

Hi SIXSIGMA

If you look at the left hand side of the messages you will see a title bar "Forum Content" with "Private Messages" below. Just click on it and you will then see several choice one of which is "Send A New message".

You can also just click on the user name and choose from the list displayed.

Thanks for that.