British Flagged Tanker Seized In Gulf By Iran.

If we have still got the Iranian tanker we seized, government could offer to give it back in exchange for ours, although I feel that won’t happen.  The uk government must have known that Iran would retaliate.  It makes me wonder if this is what our Government wanted Iran to do.  

We need better policing in this shipping lane to allow tankers to go about there business.

12 minutes ago, hauxwell said:

If we have still got the Iranian tanker we seized, government could offer to give it back in exchange for ours, although I feel that won’t happen.  The uk government must have known that Iran would retaliate.  It makes me wonder if this is what our Government wanted Iran to do.  

We need better policing in this shipping lane to allow tankers to go about there business.

America are always wanting to up the ante, they are always looking for ways to cause trouble with other countries, too much money is made selling weapons, as the American lapdog, we always follow suit unfortunately 

And the Daily Mail, revelling in the tensions as expected, are not innocent. Their malicious publication of the leak outlining ambassador Kim Darroch's private observations generated significant tensions between the UK and the USA.  There is little doubt that these tensions were noted by Iran, and constitute a factor in their decision to seize a vessel sailing under a British flag.

10 hours ago, JamesR123 said:

We started this.  Iran are saving face and have every right to.

This could escalate, the Saudis will want it to.

We should just apologise and give them their tanker back.

The tanker in question was taking oil to Syria against EU sanctions. When it entered Gibraltar’s waters it was impounded for breaking these. So why should we apologise for acting on EU rules?

9 minutes ago, hobinfoot said:

The tanker in question was taking oil to Syria against EU sanctions. When it entered Gibraltar’s waters it was impounded for breaking these. So why should we apologise for acting on EU rules?

EU sanctions? so they were our sanctions that they broke then? hmmmm, why did we put sanctions on them in the first place?  and who actually gave us and the Americans the right to lay down the law to the rest of the world?

23 minutes ago, hobinfoot said:

Because Syria aren't in the EU so are not subject to their sanctions.

It's like me and Banjodeano banning you from having a mobile phone and then mugging you of it if we saw you in the street.

6 minutes ago, JamesR123 said:

Because Syria aren't in the EU so are not subject to their sanctions.

It's like me and Banjodeano banning you from having a mobile phone and then mugging you of it if we saw you in the street.

If the tanker had stayed in international waters which it could have it could have carried on its way but when it entered Gibraltar’s it was seized. This is contrary to what the Iranians have done by seizing these two ships in international waters which is against maritime law.

12 hours ago, Mister Gee said:

The UK was always highly respected prior to Brexit, this country is now in meltdown because of it.

Got to disagree on this one. I don't think the UK has been an influence since the 1950s, although those  down in Westminster may like to think so.

Edited by spilldig

2 hours ago, banjodeano said:

America are always wanting to up the ante, they are always looking for ways to cause trouble with other countries, too much money is made selling weapons, as the American lapdog, we always follow suit unfortunately 

The great pity is the Americans have a couple of poodle states that are prepared to do their bidding.

4 hours ago, pattricia said:

We need another Churchill.! 

Churchill? Like a kipper - two faced and no guts.

Edited by Marsman