Sheffield Bus Network Changes - September 2019

On 30/09/2019 at 00:49, catmiss said:

You only go out for essential journeys to doctors, dentists, opticians etc. and the weekly shop. At £5 for the taxi up hill home I can’t afford any other outings. Before anyone suggests internet shopping I can’t spend enough weekly to qualify and no room to store more infrequent shops. Any non essential activities, ie social or leisure, have gone. I’ve heard of people experiencing this in rural communities but in a city like Sheffield!

I find this appalling that people are restricted going out unless they pay for a taxi because of the bus service. Surely this needs addressing.

It does but who by? SYPTE and First are only concerned with financial viability. Councillors and MPs cite lack of funds to support services predominantly used by concession passengers. The Mayor’s office response showed a lack of awareness of the area and pointed me to the availability of a Tuesday morning Community Transport bus to and from Morrisons. All this seems at odds with campaigns to address loneliness and isolation and to promote the Green agenda.  We hear a lot about villages being isolated by withdrawal of bus services but this is happening in an inner city area populated by a lot of elderly and or disabled people and no-one seems to care

9 hours ago, catmiss said:

It does but who by? SYPTE and First are only concerned with financial viability. Councillors and MPs cite lack of funds to support services predominantly used by concession passengers. The Mayor’s office response showed a lack of awareness of the area and pointed me to the availability of a Tuesday morning Community Transport bus to and from Morrisons. All this seems at odds with campaigns to address loneliness and isolation and to promote the Green agenda.  We hear a lot about villages being isolated by withdrawal of bus services but this is happening in an inner city area populated by a lot of elderly and or disabled people and no-one seems to care

I am not surprised by the mayors response he is a typical politician fine words but..................................

have a look at his transport strategy that was published in December last year and ask yourself what chance there is of achieving it. We need someone who knows about how to run and organise public transport and has a vision grounded in reality and the funding envelope

Of course First and Stagecoach are concerned about financial issues they are private companies contracted to run specified services and one should (assuming they adhere to their contracts) be looking at the PTE (and mayor) for culpability

12 hours ago, catmiss said:

A community bus to Morrisons is OK but what about the rest of time. People don't want to be stuck in 24/7 because they can't get a bus. What about people who are working too in these restricted areas, how do they get to work if they don't have a car?

My area is frustrating with the buses, once every half an hour but at least we get a service.

You are right in saying that all First care about is the financial aspect, whereas years ago when bus fares were cheap and services were good, it was all about the public.

5 hours ago, Retro Queen said:

A community bus to Morrisons is OK but what about the rest of time. People don't want to be stuck in 24/7 because they can't get a bus. What about people who are working too in these restricted areas, how do they get to work if they don't have a car?

My area is frustrating with the buses, once every half an hour but at least we get a service.

You are right in saying that all First care about is the financial aspect, whereas years ago when bus fares were cheap and services were good, it was all about the public.

You do realise if a company doesn't make money or at least break even it goes bankrupt. 

You know, like Thomas Cook..... 

Also 'years ago' SYPTE had an almost limitless budget to pay for tendered services because the then Labour controlled government just kept spending money the country didn't have, lending from other nations to prop up the spending, the true cause of the current austerity measures. 

Edited by Resident

58 minutes ago, Resident said:

You do realise if a company doesn't make money or at least break even it goes bankrupt. 

You know, like Thomas Cook..... 

Also 'years ago' SYPTE had an almost limitless budget to pay for tendered services because the then Labour controlled government just kept spending money the country didn't have, lending from other nations to prop up the spending, the true cause of the current austerity measures. 

This maybe so but how are people supposed to get about if they don't have a car?

6 hours ago, Retro Queen said:

This maybe so but how are people supposed to get about if they don't have a car?

Walk/taxi/adjust to whatever restricted bus services survive/move home. Not trying to be flippant but no-one can automatically expect general taxation to provide for their every transport need (wherever they live) where these .services cannot be provided on a commercial basis. 

I don't drive (and at my age certainly have no wish to learn) and I'm less and less good at walking up hills. I'm starting to rely on buses for short trips I would have walked two years ago. If those buses are cut I'll have to revert to walking or pay for taxis (partly financed by the £64.90 I pay every 28 days for a Citywide ticket). I wouldn't expect others to pay more in taxes to subsidise my transport needs

you are right Martin - I used to use the 261 often just being lazy but there were rarely more than 2 other people on the bus which made it an expensive luxury it now runs as the 58 and less frequently round Wadlsley park and you can hardly blame them for reducing the service

19 hours ago, Martin C said:

Walk/taxi/adjust to whatever restricted bus services survive/move home. Not trying to be flippant but no-one can automatically expect general taxation to provide for their every transport need (wherever they live) where these .services cannot be provided on a commercial basis. 

I don't drive (and at my age certainly have no wish to learn) and I'm less and less good at walking up hills. I'm starting to rely on buses for short trips I would have walked two years ago. If those buses are cut I'll have to revert to walking or pay for taxis (partly financed by the £64.90 I pay every 28 days for a Citywide ticket). I wouldn't expect others to pay more in taxes to subsidise my transport needs

Sorry but I disagree. Buses should be there for the public.  People don't want to move house just because of the bus service, maybe they can't afford to aswell as don't want to.

Also, using taxis instead of buses works out more expensive and not everyone wants to walk miles.

2 hours ago, Retro Queen said:

Sorry but I disagree. Buses should be there for the public.  People don't want to move house just because of the bus service, maybe they can't afford to aswell as don't want to.

Also, using taxis instead of buses works out more expensive and not everyone wants to walk miles.

I agree. I can’t, as opposed to ‘less and less good ‘, walk up hills and can only afford a couple of taxis home weekly at the most. I love the SCC bungalow and area where I live and have really good neighbours. If I want to

move for mobility reasons I will have one offer-possibly an area I don’t know in a high rise flat with a lift with a bus service that may be cut in the future ‘cos concession pass users have been rehoused there. I live in an inner city area with a lot of SCC accommodated elderly and disabled people  housed ‘up hill’. Martin C- your ‘solutions ‘ are unrealistic and demonstrate a lack of understanding