Sheffield Bus Network Changes - September 2019

Some odd changes effecting Hillsborough/Walkely/Upperthorpe.

Removal of 31 will cause issues.

And first running the 57 in the evening? Does this mean if I get a return ticket on my way to work on the stagecoach 57 that I can't use it when returning in the evening on the first 57? 

No wonder so many people are ditching public transport in favour of private vehicles. Probably benefits the government as tax from vehicles must be a good source of income.

I don't think this is just a Sheffield issue it's nationwide even in the South East and London. 

The proposition that we will all be ditching our cars anytime soon is nonsense,  just look at London which has perhaps one of the best public transport systems in the world. Yet there's more than 2.8 million cars in that city! 

If a city that is so well catered for can't do without a vast number of private vehicles, then the rest of the country doesn't stand a chance. Especially when factoring in distances and the scarcity of public transport options.

22 hours ago, SHFS6 said:

Some odd changes effecting Hillsborough/Walkely/Upperthorpe.

Removal of 31 will cause issues.

And first running the 57 in the evening? Does this mean if I get a return ticket on my way to work on the stagecoach 57 that I can't use it when returning in the evening on the first 57? 

No wonder so many people are ditching public transport in favour of private vehicles. Probably benefits the government as tax from vehicles must be a good source of income.

I don't think this is just a Sheffield issue it's nationwide even in the South East and London. 

The proposition that we will all be ditching our cars anytime soon is nonsense,  just look at London which has perhaps one of the best public transport systems in the world. Yet there's more than 2.8 million cars in that city! 

If a city that is so well catered for can't do without a vast number of private vehicles, then the rest of the country doesn't stand a chance. Especially when factoring in distances and the scarcity of public transport options.

The 57 sees insufficient usage in the evening to be commercially viable so those journeys run under tender to SYPTE with the bidder willing to run it with the lowest taxpayer subsidy getting the work. This time First has won the contract. Most people these days buy the Citywide passes valid on any bus or tram in Sheffield regardless of operator. 

31 is currently run commercially by Sheffield Community transport Monday to Friday daytime with stagecoach operating a subsidised contract evenings and weekends.  SCT have withdrawn their service as it is no longer financially viable,  there are changes to other routes to provide an alternative (135 and 52a principally). Carr road will be left without buses but that's often blocked by parked cars. 

Some of the changes have been forced by SYPTE having a reduced budget to fund socially necessary services due to conservative government austerity policy,  others by worsening road traffic congestion causing longer journeys and less efficient and costlier operating conditions. There has also been changes in demand to reflect. 

I have heard from reliable sources that the 32 bus (TM Travel) which goes to Shirecliffe and already only runs once an hour and goes off at 7.00 pm is now going to be taken off and not replaced.

I catch this bus now and again but mainly catch the 98 from where I live but what about the people further up Shirecliffe? This is the only bus they can catch. Is this some sort of joke. Are they expected to walk everywhere or spend money on taxis, not everyone has a car.

It makes me wonder how many more buses are going to be taken off the roads.

2 hours ago, Retro Queen said:

Looking through the timetable link, seems the 32 is still running but avoiding Shirecliffe. So which bus goes through Shirecliffe?

Not sure what timetable you've looked at, but the new 32 timetable route description shows it running the same route through Shirecliffe as present. Infact between City and Parson Cross it will be the same route, with the exception it will now start/terminate at Pond Street Bus Station and run via Flat Street rather than Arundel Gate.

Edited by Michael_N

Another thing, they are changing the 98 route to every half an hour from every twenty minutes which  again is a nonsense. This bus serves quite a few areas and to be only half hourly at peak times is ridiculous. I guess they won't be satisfied until Sheffield 5 has no bus service whatsoever.

38 minutes ago, Retro Queen said:

Another thing, they are changing the 98 route to every half an hour from every twenty minutes which  again is a nonsense. This bus serves quite a few areas and to be only half hourly at peak times is ridiculous. I guess they won't be satisfied until Sheffield 5 has no bus service whatsoever.

97 and 98 combined is every 15 minutes as the two are co-ordinated on the common sections of route. Apparently  the cut is down to insufficient numbers of paying passengers using the service for the current level of service to be financially viable.

Another cut to flag up is the evening service on the 25 and 86 - these tenders get public subsidy for the Woodhouse and Chapeltown end of the route but not the Bradway/Lowedges end, so when First take over the evening services in September the Lowedges end will no longer run in the evening leaving the 24 and 76 as the only buses to Lowedges/Bradway in the evening with Hutcliffe Wood/Archer Road no longer getting a bus.

Edited by Andy C

6 hours ago, Andy C said:

97 and 98 combined is every 15 minutes as the two are co-ordinated on the common sections of route. Apparently  the cut is down to insufficient numbers of paying passengers using the service for the current level of service to be financially viable.

Another cut to flag up is the evening service on the 25 and 86 - these tenders get public subsidy for the Woodhouse and Chapeltown end of the route but not the Bradway/Lowedges end, so when First take over the evening services in September the Lowedges end will no longer run in the evening leaving the 24 and 76 as the only buses to Lowedges/Bradway in the evening with Hutcliffe Wood/Archer Road no longer getting a bus.

The new timetables don’t seem to be on the website yet, does anyone know what time “evening” starts?