France To Reintroduce National Service

20 hours ago, Janus said:

Apparently national service started to be wrapped up in Nov 1960. A person would have to have been born around 1942 latest, to be the final ones to sign up.

There will still be a few guys living who did.

I understand the last (amended) National Service legislation applied to those with a dob on, or before, 31/12/39. That was subsequently brought forward to 31/10/39. Thus there will be a few who are a few months shy of 80 who did NS.

I wasn’t caught by the legislation, but joined in ‘61 and there were quite a few officers  who’d been deferred because they were at university etc who were NS in 61/62 and 63

You could tell who they were because they weren’t issued/given allowances for barathea uniforms, mess kit etc. 

Guest makapaka
1 hour ago, Janus said:

I just wish the powers that be, whoever they are, could find a solution to the current problems.

Too many young people are losing their lives to violence on the streets in the UK. 

They could work a reasonable system if they wanted to.

if someone is not in education or employment they could do national service for set periods and be allowed access to apply for jobs / attend interviews / sign up for courses whilst they’re doing it. 

If it managed correctly you would have young people either in education, in work or in national service. 

I cant see how that would be a bad thing.

9 minutes ago, makapaka said:

They could work a reasonable system if they wanted to.

if someone is not in education or employment they could do national service for set periods and be allowed access to apply for jobs / attend interviews / sign up for courses whilst they’re doing it. 

If it managed correctly you would have young people either in education, in work or in national service. 

I cant see how that would be a bad thing.

What sort of things do you think that the young people should do  in terms of national service?

Guest makapaka
29 minutes ago, Pettytom said:

What sort of things do you think that the young people should do  in terms of national service?

Any number of things that would benefit the nation.

traditionally it’s been military - maybe they could look at filling other roles in the national interest if that’s not suitable for all?

1 minute ago, makapaka said:

Any number of things that would benefit the nation.

traditionally it’s been military - maybe they could look at filling other roles in the national interest if that’s not suitable for all?

Wouldn’t it be better to manage the economy so that those youngsters have some profitable work that they could do.

Then they could choose what they did.  And do stuff that is in their own interest.

Then you might avoid the inevitable downside of forcing young people to do stuff that they don’t want to do.

Because the bad thing that you couldn’t see is that forcing people to do stuff doesn’t work very well.

2 hours ago, Janus said:

I just wish the powers that be, whoever they are, could find a solution to the current problems.

Too many young people are losing their lives to violence on the streets in the UK. 

The biggest killer of young people isnt stabbing, isn’t drugs it’s suicide. You want to help young people bin the national service idea and spend the money on mental health services.

Guest makapaka
50 minutes ago, Pettytom said:

Wouldn’t it be better to manage the economy so that those youngsters have some profitable work that they could do.

Then they could choose what they did.  And do stuff that is in their own interest.

Then you might avoid the inevitable downside of forcing young people to do stuff that they don’t want to do.

Because the bad thing that you couldn’t see is that forcing people to do stuff doesn’t work very well.

Yeah I don’t entirely disagree but maybe it could be a push to get them into something.

im not talking about dragging kids out of work or education - but if neither is happening for them it could be a benefit to them and the rest of society if they’re doing something productive. 

It it would also help in terms of experience on their cv etc 

20 minutes ago, makapaka said:

Yeah I don’t entirely disagree but maybe it could be a push to get them into something.

im not talking about dragging kids out of work or education - but if neither is happening for them it could be a benefit to them and the rest of society if they’re doing something productive. 

It it would also help in terms of experience on their cv etc 

Indeed.

The idea of giving kids an opportunity is a good one. Compelling people to do things is less good. The trouble is that most of the kids not in work or University are likely to be difficult to engage.

I’d prefer an expansion of the apprentice scheme to give them decent money, decent training and a bit of a boost to their self esteem 

Guest makapaka
10 hours ago, Pettytom said:

Indeed.

The idea of giving kids an opportunity is a good one. Compelling people to do things is less good. The trouble is that most of the kids not in work or University are likely to be difficult to engage.

I’d prefer an expansion of the apprentice scheme to give them decent money, decent training and a bit of a boost to their self esteem 

Ideally - but how does that get past the issue with engagement.

what if they show no interest in an apprenticeship either. 

Maybe be they would after a period of undertaking similar work which they had to engage with.