Who Had A Television Set Before The Coronation In 1953?

used to go to a friends house on Shenstone rd.Hillsbro abot 1949/50 they had a 9 inch Pye with a large magnifying screen to make the picture bigger,I think there name was French or France.Our first telly was just before the coronation we lived on Grammar st.then and all the nieghbors came in to watch.

We didn't have a telly until 1956 when mum got ours from Wiggies as did most of Sheffield!

On Coronation Day itself we all piled into the Myrtle pub on Alexandra Road run by Eric & Ellen Staniforth where they had a telly I believe but, I don't recall anyone watching it.

There was a kids party there with the traditional potted dog sandwiches followed by trifle. The kids all received a metal crown shaped money box painted gold and red (still have mine).

All this while the adults enjoyed themselves  partaking of the refreshments in the pub, I don't recall anyone mentioning the actual Coronation on't telly.

Regards,

Duffems

There was no TV reception in the Sheffield area  & beyond until October 1951 when the Holme Moss transmitter came into service, so this leaves just over 18 months to the Coronation. My memories of the event were the military band playing Soldiers of the Queen over & over & over again ad nauseam, and seeing the statuesque Queen Salote of Tonga riding around in a carriage & getting very wet. We all went to my uncle's to watch it on a 12 inch Murphy which was passed on to us a few years later.

Edited by fatrajah

My grandparents were one of the first on their street to get one, and apparently their house was full to the rafters of neighbours who'd come round to watch the coronation.

I wonder if King George had lived for a lot longer TVs wouldn't have taken off so much, it seems that almost all of the early adopters got one "for the coronation"!

2 hours ago, John_S6 said:

My grandparents were one of the first on their street to get one, and apparently their house was full to the rafters of neighbours who'd come round to watch the coronation.

I wonder if King George had lived for a lot longer TVs wouldn't have taken off so much, it seems that almost all of the early adopters got one "for the coronation"!

As I remember it, the biggest factors in the increase in the numbers of TVs were the advent of ITV in 1956 & the availability of 17 inch models around the same time. People didn't want to watch worthy but dull BBC programs on small screens when they could watch Highway Patrol & other exciting American programmes on ITV. By the end of the 1950s, ITV were winning the ratings war hands down & most households had a TV set.

• 4 weeks later...

We lived on Manor Park and went round to a neighbour's house for the Coronation - along with many other people.  My Dad came home from morning shift at Sammy Fox's at Templeborough and brought my sister and I a tin of toffees each.  

I used to go round to a friend's house to watch 'Children's Hour' on the BBC.  We got our TV just as ITV came on air (thanks to a previous poster, this appears to have been around 1956). 

Prior to all that, the highlight of our day was 'Listen with Mother' on the radio at quarter to two in the afternoon.  "Are you sitting comfortably?  Then I'll begin".  I started school just before the age of 5 and was dreadfully jealous of my younger sister, because she could stay home and "Listen with Mother".