2018/2019 Recommended Tradesmen Megathread No Advertising/Jobs/Quotes

Won't you be better getting the shop that supplies the fire to fit it? I'm assuming they have qualified fitters or subcontractors. That is what we have always done. When we bought a gas cooker from a department store we asked our  gas supplier to fit it. The pipework was already there so the charge to connect it wasn't very much.  

Hi. I'm after a general handyman who will be able to convert my outside shed into a home office. Basically I need it tidying up. The electrics are there, they just need sockets and wiring tidying up. Apart from that, some plaster board and cement to tidy the walls.  Can anyone recommend someone trust worthy to do this small / medium sized job please?

I'm looking for a recommendations for a roofer in the S6 area to fix/replace the valley on our roof and check the flashing around two chimmneys. It is a tall house and would probably require scaffolding.

Anyone able to recommend a reliable roofer?

Hi I have a property I rent that requires it’s annual gas safety certificate doing mid August. 

The price I’ve been quoted by my letting agent seems rather steep (£85) so I’m looking for any recommendations so I can organise myself. 

Cheers

Edited by nikki-red

Once upon a Time, any self respecting DIY guy, or Handyman, could tackle these sorts of jobs, however due to the Govt of recent times:

I guess it was due to some careless slipshod workers, who created dangerous practices, which ended in the then Govt taking actions, with more and more regulations, like you have to have a Gas Safe cert. To fit Gas, plus to do Electrical Work you have to have the up to date current Cert. For that, likewise you have to be a qualified Carpenter to do carpentry, or Joinery,  which all drives the Costs up. Etc etc..

Roofers once worked from Ladders, in my younger days, which made roofing jobs relatively cheap, nowadays they only Work on your roof once the Scaffolders have been, hiking costs then between £300-1000 more, dependant on what you get done?

It all makes money for the current workers to achieve more....methinks

4 hours ago, DeZeus said:

Once upon a Time, any self respecting DIY guy, or Handyman, could tackle these sorts of jobs, however due to the Govt of recent times:

I guess it was due to some careless slipshod workers, who created dangerous practices, which ended in the then Govt taking actions, with more and more regulations, like you have to have a Gas Safe cert. To fit Gas, plus to do Electrical Work you have to have the up to date current Cert. For that, likewise you have to be a qualified Carpenter to do carpentry, or Joinery,  which all drives the Costs up. Etc etc..

Roofers once worked from Ladders, in my younger days, which made roofing jobs relatively cheap, nowadays they only Work on your roof once the Scaffolders have been, hiking costs then between £300-1000 more, dependant on what you get done?

It all makes money for the current workers to achieve more....methinks

I can feel your frustration. But Safety has to prevail.

I can re-wire a complete house...Not legally...Im bang Colour blind.! But I can do it.!

I can also fit Gas central heating,  fix broken Boilers,  I can do roofing, fix gutters, joinery, masonry work, re-pointing, brick laying...Fit a whole new kitchen or bathroom and Tile them too......  Non of which I am Legally allowed to do.!

Apart from in / or on my own properties.!

These days you have to have a Certificate for just about everything.!  

Which is not in the interest of the workers. It's more peace of mind for the folks paying for that service.

Which I think is fair enough.

Someone once said..."It's not what you know...It's WHO you know"...:wink:

It will depend on the number of appliances to be included.

Gas safe guys are likely to prefer a longer job rather than one that probably takes up to an hour.

I used to get 3 together for about 3x£45 from a friend.

Hopefully more recommendations will come for you in time for mid August, but don't let it run out!!

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&ei=U5NAXdDDK-HCxgOb46nIBw&q=gas+safety+certificate+cost+sheffield&oq=gas+safety+certificate+cost+she&gs_l=psy-ab.1.0.33i22i29i30l2.42316.45909..48092...0.0..0.146.523.1j3......0....1..gws-wiz.......0i71j0j0i22i30j0i13.ldZg4HeUcaA