Pharmacist refuses to dispense contraceptive pills

2 hours ago, Hogg said:

What is respectful about your post? You are accusing the OP of lying.  This problem with pharmacies has been documented before, educate yourself.

It's his normal M.O. I'm afraid . Jump into a thread without  reading it thoroughly , or researching the story , post nonsense and when called out resort to rudeness , wild accusations or say it was a slip of the keyboard.  Calling the O.P. a liar is a new low though.

There is no mention in that email about the therapeutic use of the contraceptive pill. It is not always prescribed for birth control.   Conditions such as menorrhagia, irregular menstruation, endometriosis are frequently treated with this medication.  Assuming that the pharmacist only objects to the contraceptive function of the drug, he or she presumably has no right to refuse dispensing it when lawfully prescribed as treatment for a medical condition. Unless the pharmacist has access to the patient's medical records they cannot know why it is being prescribed so they should at least ask the patient before refusing to dispense it.   

Edited by Jomie

56 minutes ago, Jomie said:

There is no mention in that email about the therapeutic use of the contraceptive pill. It is not always prescribed for birth control.   Conditions such as menorrhagia, irregular menstruation, endometriosis are frequently treated with this medication.  Assuming that the pharmacist only objects to the contraceptive function of the drug, he or she presumably has no right to refuse dispensing it when lawfully prescribed as treatment for a medical condition. Unless the pharmacist has access to the patient's medical records they cannot know why it is being prescribed so they should at least ask the patient before refusing to dispense it.   

Another good post and you are right.  I know someone who was prescribed it for painful periods, it was a few years ago.

3 minutes ago, amnicoll said:

what in my mind is completely unacceptable is that you had to wait 30 minutes to be told this and that Lloyds though that this was acceptable

Yes, that, and the fact that Lloyds HQ seem to be condoning this behaviour and aren't going to do anything about it?

4 minutes ago, amnicoll said:

what in my mind is completely unacceptable is that you had to wait 30 minutes to be told this and that Lloyds though that this was acceptable

My understanding of the regulations is that a pharmacy has to ensure that there is another member of staff available to fill the script in these cases.

And the point made earlier about other uses of these medications is a very valid one. Maybe it is time to organise a system of complaints to the offending pharmacist’s governing body about individual’s practicing this discrimination. I assume that to get away with this, they have to demonstrate that the use of the medication goes against their religious beliefs. To do this they need to know why the medication was prescribed. They can only know this by having access to confidential patient records so either they are breaking pharmacy rules or patient confidentiality rules. Catch-22 as Yossarian was told by the doctor.

We need to get a campaign together to challenge every case like this, thus forcing the pharmacist concerned to justify their decision to withhold medication but do so without having access to a patient’s records. As there are very few ‘single application’ drugs, these people may find it virtually impossible to justify this breach of their terms of employment.

Lloyds are not alone in bad service among the pharmacies,  +Well took over my local pharmacy and the service has deteriorated rapidly so much so that even though it is the most convenient and easiest one to use I have taken my business elsewhere and I know i am not the only one