Goodbye East Midlands Trains. Hello Emr

There has already been talk about increasing black cab taxi permits on the station. Adding more pressure to already a congested situation but just follow the money, been told it's £618.00 for 12 months starting September. Concerned station users should contact train station management, and make their views clear.

On 21/08/2019 at 09:36, Andy C said:

There is also an obsession with avoiding delays around Manchester or Peterborough being imported cross country, however I don't get that given that East Midlands Trains actually ran the service quite reliably.

There is a very serious desire to avoid importing delays from Manchester across the country. Peterborough isn't as serious, but is still an issue.

About 18 months ago this hourly service was being held responsible for 25% of all East Midlands delays. That was quite a staggering statistic when you consider all the trains between St Pancras and Sheffield and Nottingham and the other regional services.

Cutting those delays might be a priority if I were trying to run the railway, so cutting off the worst bit wouldn't dismay me too much. Without resolving congestion between Warrington and Stockport there's very little that can be done to improve things. In another 3 or 4  years the redoubling at Dore may make a little difference but it's in the west that the biggest gains can made and they'll cost billions and probably take decades!.

First experience of EMR leaves me unimpressed.

Simply unable to book a journey on the website. It kept telling me to go back and try again because there were 'website issues'. 

Having done so several times, I gave up and drove to Leeds and back instead.

52 minutes ago, Localman said:

First experience of EMR leaves me unimpressed.

Simply unable to book a journey on the website. It kept telling me to go back and try again because there were 'website issues'. 

Having done so several times, I gave up and drove to Leeds and back instead.

Very strange - I have booked three journeys since the change - one on the first day of operation to Brighton via London, one in the reverse direction, and a day return to Leicester, all with no problem.

The overcrowding between Liverpool and Nottingham is beyond a joke.... two car units sometimes bolstered to four cars on this route are totally inadequate.
Surely some cascaded IC125 sets down to six coaches would work on this route.... not only uplifting the acceleration speed from stops but the increased seating capacity would make sense.
It's criminal that the IC225 (Class 91's) are being withdrawn and scrapped and are in better condition than a lot of the rolling stock currently available (even though they are electric stock).

Edited by darylslinn

1 hour ago, darylslinn said:

The overcrowding between Liverpool and Nottingham is beyond a joke.... two car units sometimes bolstered to four cars on this route are totally inadequate.

4 cars generally more than adequate in my experience.  2 cars very much less so.

9 hours ago, Martin C said:

4 cars generally more than adequate in my experience.  2 cars very much less so.

The Government are more than happy to suppress demand on the route between Sheffield and Manchester through overcrowding.

This greatly harms the economy of Derbyshire and South Yorkshire.

The "4 cars" that run once an hour (Nottingham-Liverpool)are of the Class 158 type which are old slow and soon to be replaced.

The current  3 car 185 TPE type trains have a lower seating capacity than a 2 car 158.

A 6 car 185 is too long for Dore and other stations and needs two Guards.

Other trains will become available like the HST 125, The Meridians from MML and even locomotive hauled ones.

Every plan announced over the last thirty years has been stopped/delayed  by the Government and they have left us with slower line speeds, two sections of single track, semaphore signalling, short trains and seriously overcrowding on weekdays and weekends.

Annie is right that it is the government that bear the blame for the overcrowding and not the train company.

yes the 158 may be old but I am not sure on this route how much faster other diesels will be and I would rather a nice refurbished 4 car 158 with a seat than a 3 car 185 and no seat.

I completely agree! I use this service regularly to Liverpool, and without a reservation, finding a seat is often difficult, and when it is running late/has technical problems, which is often, the seat reservations are not put out. Standing to Stockport is not something I do easily. If the 4 car 158 is to be replaced with cars comprising fewer seats than a 2 car it will be useless.