Rip Andrew Harper - Thames Valley Police

11 hours ago, Daven said:

And a little ironic that the current 'useless police' thread has has several posts since I posted the one above which has had no replies.

Speaks volumes I would say.

Why does it??     What exactly is the debate you are expecting a endless thread of replies to.

You post a link to a well known news development regarding the arrest and comment its good news.  Im sure many agree so - Yes it is.   Full stop.

What more do you want.    The other thread you appear to be upset about is an active debate with very clear contrary positions creating even more debate.   This specitfic thread isnt.

Where's the problem?

19 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

Why does it??     What exactly is the debate you are expecting a endless thread of replies to.

You post a link to a well known news development regarding the arrest and comment its good news.  Im sure many agree so - Yes it is.   Full stop.

What more do you want.    The other thread you appear to be upset about is an active debate with very clear contrary positions creating even more debate.   This specitfic thread isnt.

Where's the problem?

No problem here

No idea what you are on about mate

RIP PC Harper

Edited by Daven

• 10 months later...

I believe it's the correct result 

In theory you can get a life sentence for a manslaughter verdict.

In these loathesome individuals case there are plenty of aggravating circumstances, so they will soon regret appearing so happy with the outcome.

As has been reported there are believed to be evidence of attempted  witness intimidation, the police hopefully will gathering evidence on that and see those behind it in the dock too.

RIP ,PC Harper.

19 hours ago, apelike said:

I'm afraid that the law and its not up to the people to decide the outcome.

Yes I think you are right.  I’ve just read something by a home affairs correspondent.  He says there are only two possible routes for a retrial and I don’t think this case meets the criteria.

Edited by hauxwell

34 minutes ago, hauxwell said:

Yes I think you are right.  I’ve just read something by a home affairs correspondent.  He says there are only two possible routes for a retrial and I don’t think this case meets the criteria.

I agree also. The court heard all the evidence and concluded that there was no intent to kill the officer. Whilst I have every sympathy with the dead officer's wife and family, I hope their petition doesn't lead to a retrial.

From what I’ve read the grounds for retrial of a jury verdict are quite specific- either intimidation of witnesses or jury member and/or new evidence. Whilst there are rumours circulating re the former nothing had yet been proven so let’s hope the judge imposes appropriate sentences 

On 29/07/2020 at 17:13, hauxwell said:

The petition is still going strong, I would like to see a retrial.  

Edited by hauxwell