Consequences Of Brexit [Part 8] Read First Post Before Posting

Message added by Vaati

Mod Note: As we are getting rather tired of seeing reports about this. The use of the word Remoaners  is to cease. Either posts like adults, or don't post at all. The mod warnings have been clear.

Message added by mort

In addition to remoaner we are also not going to allow the use of libdums or liebore - if you cannot behave like adults and post without recourse to these childish insults then please refrain from posting. If you have a problem with this then you all know where the helpdesk is. 

1 hour ago, FinBak said:

The guy isn't talking about 'Sides'...Mel.

If any Money is to be made...It will be by the Elite, as usual.

Nothing changes...But Everything Changes.

Spot on with that. Its an inevitable result of capitalism that those without much want more and all those with plenty want even more.

1 hour ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Really?

Actually I meant here on SF.

Those with money seem predominantly concerned about the ability of business and investment to continue properly after Brexit.

That is because it is impacting on them creating more wealth as it is with the backers who backed remain. Incidentally was it the poor who went to the courts in Scotland to challenge the proroguing of parliament or the rich?

I can’t remember seeing any evidence of them showing any concern for the poor, whatsoever.

Precisely.

It seems to be those on the left, trade unionists, some Labour MPs, the church, the EU and ironically the government’s own internal reports which have been pointing out the dangers of Brexit to the poor.

Trade unions are wealthy and give millions to Labour from donations, the Church are a very rich charitable organisation that panders to the rich elite and are not concerned for the poor, and yet the poor voted for brexit!

Edited by apelike

1 hour ago, Longcol said:

Do you think that if we'd left the day after the referendum it would all be sorted by now?

No that's why the is a transition period with the EU.

You know, new trade deals, the myriad of other agreements such as intelligence sharing, quality standards etc etc.

Apart from the trade deals the other bits can be easily sorted as most domestic laws would be transferred and incorporated into UK law. Unfortunately the EU have stated they wont entertain any talks on some unless we agree to a deal. It is still possible and desirable for the EU to deal with those problems.

Edited by apelike

29 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

So?   

the point is, you stated "they should get off their arse and vote", thats completely out of order, as they couldnt vote. Thats the point i was making. YOU was blaming those that couldnt do anything about it.

38 minutes ago, apelike said:

Actually I meant here on SF.

OK, I misunderstood you.

40 minutes ago, apelike said:

Trade unions are wealthy and give millions to Labour from donations, the Church are a very rich charitable organisation that panders to the rich elite and are not concerned for the poor, and yet the poor voted for brexit!

Trades union are not wealthy in the way that Farage, Rees-Mogg and Odey are wealthy. They have a turnover of millions because they represent millions and therefore have subscriptions of millions.

I agree that the Church is a rich organisation which represents the establishment but it interfaces with the poor on a much greater level than the average rich businessman.

Yes, many poor people voted for Brexit and the very first government forecast on the effects of leaving the EU (yes the one they tried to hide, even from Parliament!) clearly stated that the poor would be hit first and hardest.

1 hour ago, apelike said:

Apart from the trade deals the other bits can be easily sorted as most domestic laws would be transferred and incorporated into UK law. Unfortunately the EU have stated they wont entertain any talks on some unless we agree to a deal. It is still possible and desirable for the EU to deal with those problems.

Somehow I don't think the ERG and their no deal ilk want a lot of the employment protection, quality standards etc transferring - isn't a massive deregulation what they're after post brexit? Gets in the way of more profit keeping those laws.

https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/dark-money-investigations/revealed-how-dark-money-is-winning-brexit-influencing-ga/

But go ahead and blame the EU.

Edited by Longcol

2 hours ago, apelike said:

No that's why the is a transition period with the EU.

But those were the rules all along - even before we started. The UK knew those rules, but chose to ignore them.

It's a bit like starting a game of football and then asking if we can have 21 players and make the goals smaller please,? and then getting upset when the other side says no.

Trades union are not wealthy in the way that Farage, Rees-Mogg and Odey are wealthy. They have a turnover of millions because they represent millions and therefore have subscriptions of millions.

The point is that it does not matter which side they are on as the wealthy will always have financial advisers who will advise them how to capitalise on brexit and make money from it.

I agree that the Church is a rich organisation which represents the establishment but it interfaces with the poor on a much greater level than the average rich businessman.

Sorry but I find it hard to believe that. 

Yes, many poor people voted for Brexit and the very first government forecast on the effects of leaving the EU (yes the one they tried to hide, even from Parliament!) clearly stated that the poor would be hit first and hardest.

And as I keep pointing out its not the poor that are complaining about brexit. They want to leave ASAP and believe they have been lied to by the politicians that promised brexit would be implemented.

9 minutes ago, apelike said:

Sorry but I find it hard to believe that. 

I’m no fan of any religion but whether you like it or not, a lot of charity work to do with the poor and particularly the homeless is done by church groups.

11 minutes ago, apelike said:

They want to leave ASAP and believe they have been lied to by the politicians that promised brexit would be implemented.

Yes but I’m afraid that that is mainly based on ignorance. Nobody is saying that the poor will be any better off after Brexit so once the satisfaction of having achieved what they voted for has worn off, what will those poor people do as they see their living standards slip.

You can’t feed your kids, pay your rent or heat your home on smugness. 😢

3 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

I can certainly attest to that based on over 20 years working for charitable homeless / social housing services in Sheffield - in fact a number of services - for example South Yorkshire Housing Association - were founded and developed by church members.  The current Bishop of Manchester is the former Chair of SYHA. The Cathedral Archer Project was founded by members of the Cathedral congregation.

Getting donations from church organisations was relatively easy - from rich businessmen......can't remember any. A well known Sheffield born celebrity (who shall remain nameless) was very generous.

Based on my experience I'd also think that "the poor" were vastly over represented in the 28% who didn't vote in the referendum (and don't vote in GE's or council elections).

Edited by Longcol