Consequences Of Brexit [Part 8] Read First Post Before Posting

Message added by Vaati

Mod Note: As we are getting rather tired of seeing reports about this. The use of the word Remoaners  is to cease. Either posts like adults, or don't post at all. The mod warnings have been clear.

Message added by mort

In addition to remoaner we are also not going to allow the use of libdums or liebore - if you cannot behave like adults and post without recourse to these childish insults then please refrain from posting. If you have a problem with this then you all know where the helpdesk is. 

2 minutes ago, geared said:

I guess in this case it's because the party no longer represents their views and/or the wishes of their constituents.

The former I can agree with but the latter no as constituents get no say, that's why they should get another one by having a by-election.

Anyway... back to brexit.. :D

9 minutes ago, Pettytom said:

I have many friends in Worksop. The GE is going to be very interesting there. Mann has consistently taken a strong leave position. If Labour back a people’s vote, he might still lose Bassetlaw to the Brexit Party.

Couldn’t happen to a nicer chap😀

I think by taking a strong leave position he's doing what the vast majority of his constituency want. And it still might keep him in job.

Be interesting to see if Skinner hangs on at bolsover - unless he's retiring.

35 minutes ago, apelike said:

Defecting to another party without having a by-election should be stopped. Not because of this latest news but because its seems that its OK for an elected MP to just switch when they want to.

Awww is Parliamentary soverignty not to your liking all of a sudden? You want a bye-election for that? I'd like a referendum please.

19 minutes ago, Pettytom said:

The level of entryism in both parties has left them unable to serve their core voters propertly

A pundit on Newsnight on the day of the threat to deselect anti-Brexit Tory MPs said that so many ex-UKIP or Brexit Party supporters had joined the Conservative Party in the past couple of years that the next Parliament could end up with no Brexit Party MPs but many ‘proxy’ Brexit/UKIP MPs under the flag of the Tory Party.

In other news, at least two ‘rebel’ Tory MPs (including David Gauke) have had their selection reaffirmed by their local party. I’m no expert on Conservative Party rules but if a local party refuses to have a ‘Brexit friendly’ candidate forced on them this could end up in the courts.

27 minutes ago, apelike said:

True and I know what you mean but the problem there is if it was not a party thing then why do MP's switch party in the first place?

Because their party is moving away from them.

It's not that Dr Lee decided to move to be a lib dem. It's that the Tory party pulled itself away when it started servicing their glourious Leader Cummings.

1 hour ago, Top Cats Hat said:

He could do, but the EU could still grant an extension to Article 50 and ignore the £1 billion a week bit.

And you seem to still be struggling to understand that leaving without a deal is an unintended consequence of triggering Article 50 and not the purpose. When the FIA authorised Spa to hold the Belgian Grand Prix race fixtures last weekend there was a possibility that a driver could die during one of the races. Are you saying that because it was a possible outcome the FIA should not have done everything in their power to avoid Anthoine Hubert’s death?

That's an interesting reply from a poster who proclaims to hold the EU in high esteem.  

You still are ignoring the fact a no-deal or walk away option is standard practice for any party to do regardless of what they are negotiating for.  

28 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

I think by taking a strong leave position he's doing what the vast majority of his constituency want. And it still might keep him in job.

You're exactly right regarding John Mann.  He is one of the very few Labour MPs who can hold his head up high during the Brexit process.

Edited by Lockdoctor

32 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

Voting Labour will mean voting for a people’s vote. I can’t see Mann campaigning for that, nor the good people of Worksop voting for it.

It will be interesting.