Consequences Of Brexit [Part 8] Read First Post Before Posting

Message added by Vaati

Mod Note: As we are getting rather tired of seeing reports about this. The use of the word Remoaners  is to cease. Either posts like adults, or don't post at all. The mod warnings have been clear.

Message added by mort

In addition to remoaner we are also not going to allow the use of libdums or liebore - if you cannot behave like adults and post without recourse to these childish insults then please refrain from posting. If you have a problem with this then you all know where the helpdesk is. 

14 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Eventually they would have had to, as you have to have a realistic goal to carry on fighting. The IRA continued to fight because they could see an ultimate and achievable aim. If Ireland was reunited, what would the Loyalists be fighting for?

Put it like this, if Loyalist paramilitaries started to slaughter the Catholic/Nationalist/Irish population in a united Ireland, would that make it more likely or less likely that Britain would retake control of the North of Ireland? Fear of a Loyalist backlash has always been a ridiculous argument against Irish reunification.

They would have carried on fighting for what they call their country. It may not be part of the UK anymore but theirs nevertheless.

Edited by hobinfoot

1 hour ago, hobinfoot said:

The UK is made up of 4 countries all are important and integral to each other.

I think that's a classic conservative response. Although I'm pretty sure that many Brexiteers would be happy to throw the Northern Irish and the Scottish under the bus to get their lousy Brexit.

I hate the idea of English nationalism - as it is constituted at the moment.

26 minutes ago, hobinfoot said:

They would have carried on fighting for what they call their country. It may not be part of the UK anymore but theirs nevertheless.

Easier said than done.

It takes an awful lot of effort to carry out any kind of sustained campaign. It also takes money, resources, training and some level of support from the community from which you operate. You also have to expect those with you, to risk death or imprisonment for life. You can’t rely on any of this if you are selling a hopeless dream. And let’s not forget that Loyalist paramilitaries were only able to operate with the help of the police and British Army. In a united Ireland, they won’t have that help.

Any Loyalist backlash to a post-Brexit united Ireland would be very bloody but more importantly in the long term, very short.

5 hours ago, Mister M said:

Although I'm pretty sure that many Brexiteers would be happy to throw the Northern Irish and the Scottish under the bus to get their lousy Brexit.

I think you will find that Scotland want to be independent and out of that precious Union so its hardly brexiteers chucking them under a bus as they want to do that anyway. Would you be happy to see Scotland leave the Union and gain their independence?

Edited by apelike

17 minutes ago, apelike said:

I think you will find that Scotland want to be independent and out of that precious Union so its hardly brexiteers chucking them under a bus as they want to do that anyway. Would you be happy to see Scotland leave the Union and gain their independence?

no they dont, more lies yet again, they voted to stay in the union, the ONLY talk of a new independence vote is purely because of the brexit nonsense

What is the legal default going to be on 31st October?

I have a feeling that we'll still be in the EU.

6 hours ago, Pettytom said:

Two of the four want to remain in the eu.

The UK will not exist in ten years time

Well, it you consider the latest European elections, 3 out of 4 home countries want to remain in the EU.  How do you square that circle?

1 hour ago, Albert the Cat said:

What is the legal default going to be on 31st October?

I have a feeling that we'll still be in the EU.

Well, it you consider the latest European elections, 3 out of 4 home countries want to remain in the EU.  How do you square that circle?

3.5 home countries. North Wales Voted heavily to Remain.

I have always said that if South Wales had voted to Remain, Brexit would have been impossible to sell.

27 minutes ago, steved32 said:

So, Boris, Brexit IS a bitch,

Delayed... now you're dead in a ditch.

Boris has to send the surrender bill for royal Assent. No Royal Assent = no law. It's the nuclear option he always has in his back pocket. They can't arrest him for breaking no law! Maybe a court challenge but that eats time. After Prorogation the Bill is dead. Queens consent and royal assent are 2 different things.

Blair did that a few times. They can remove it with a vote of no confidence if they don't like it which results in a general election which Boris wants anyway. If Boris simply doesn't recommend the surrender bill to the queen then come September 10th the house of commons is prorogued and when they come back it will be too late to have a general election before Oct 31st so Brexit happens. Also some countries could veto any extension so again Brexit happens. He can also request the extension and tell the EU Britain will veto every request to obstruct EU business.

If a general election happens and the polls are even slightly correct Boris gets a majority and remainers get booted from the commons. He can then push through anything he wishes. I wouldn't get too hung up on what the media tells you yet.

Remember Boris told the House of Lords to stand down when they could have filibustered the surrender bill all weekend. We will see if he has balls of steel on Monday.

I wouldn't rule him out yet. He is not as backed into a corner as the media like to tell you he is.

Could you imagine the Scots having an independence referendum, having leave win and then telling them we are not going to let you. How would that work out? The only reason the EU referendum did not require a super majority is because the Scots had it laid down in law that even if leave won by a single vote that would be sufficient. That is why the EU referendum only needed a simple majority.

Well we will see Monday. Either it's the end of the Conservative party or they still have something up their sleeve.