Wards Brewery Sheffield.

FinBak

1 hour ago, Ontarian1981 said:

Still there on Bridgegate,they just call it The County nowadays, I think. 

Sorry, didn't see your earlier post.

In the 80s the landlord was a big lad, a ringer for Gareth Hale (Hale and Pace). On a Saturday night he used to bring some of his customers to the Tivoli after he'd closed up. One night at the death, ever keen to make sure they all got their round in, he assisted one of them to the bar by the scruff of his neck, lol.

On 12/09/2019 at 15:46, sadbrewer said:

To be honest I think it's highly unlikely. Most breweries were built on the site of  a well or a  spring. Some areas became brewing centres purely because the local underground water supplies were really suitable...Tadcaster and Burton on Trent are the most obvious two, but despite being rural, Malton and the Isle of Axholme area also had several breweries due to the excellent water.... Rivers were often so polluted they couldn't be used.

As brewers got bigger the wells often couldn't produce the volumes of water needed for the whole process, so the old well water would be used for the critical mashing process, and town mains water for the rest of the process.

Fair enough. What's that river called that runs DIRECTLY through the REAR of Ward's brewery..?

It's called the river Sheaf.   https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=ACYBGNTF4w8mkPcKLqDxLiHSMVqY-meK6w:1568394665796&q=River+Sheaf&stick=H4sIAAAAAAAAAONgVeLUz9U3MCxOKckwksjJLC5RyE9TKM5ITUvLTM1JUSjKLEstKj7FiFAFY5tZFCXD2GUWhWlQtnFyToEFgp1rBGUnlZlVwPQaJVsYw9Snm5WXWULZyUU5hgZQdoqpaVkKXDy7suIUIxfEzKyqDFMoxzTZ2LKsEqrKtCQvpxgqYVRYWZkB02KSXFRlngWzuyK3IPsR41NGboGXP-4JS91mnLTm5DXGK4xcAj75-cWpOZVBqTmJJakpIflCRlxsrnklmSWVQlJcPFIcIO255qbpGgxSXFxwnhSPEhdvVMBFedFz6-T_C3UzcnEHp5aE5Pvmp2SmVQrVCFVxcfqm5iYBg9E_TciGi8s5PycnNbkkMz9PSI9LTEpIPxkuoA8JbqAFIlxYxJX0jXQvPbu9kVWdiw0iAnGUWXJegRYbB4sAowSjqfxOTXsrqDTPIlYB9LgEAPctKtXzAQAA&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiXo7C3pc7kAhVmRxUIHUGYBLEQ-BYIMDAd&sxsrf=ACYBGNTF4w8mkPcKLqDxLiHSMVqY-meK6w:1568394665796&cshid=1568394937804225&biw=1335&bih=581

The River Sheaf in Sheffield, South Yorkshire, England, flows northwards, past Dore, through Abbeydale and north of Heeley. It then passes into a culvert, through which it flows under the centre of Sheffield before joining the River Don.

On it's way there it passes RIGHT by Ward's brewery.

You mean the blue stripe on the map here? The one thats quite clearly labelled 'Porter Brook'

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ward's+Brewery,+Ecclesall+Rd,+Sheffield+S11+8HG/@53.3722862,-1.4838935,18z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x4879827b657e5327:0xe2ec00d33245f751!8m2!3d53.3726191!4d-1.482138

The Sheaf goes nowhere near Ecclesall Road. it comes from the peak district, through Millhouses and Abbeydale, down to Heeley, and on into the City Center. The Porter Brook joins the Sheaf somewhere under Midland Station.

5 minutes ago, slh73 said:

You mean the blue stripe on the map here? The one thats quite clearly labelled 'Porter Brook'

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ward's+Brewery,+Ecclesall+Rd,+Sheffield+S11+8HG/@53.3722862,-1.4838935,18z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x4879827b657e5327:0xe2ec00d33245f751!8m2!3d53.3726191!4d-1.482138

The Sheaf goes nowhere near Ecclesall Road. it comes from the peak district, through Millhouses and Abbeydale, down to Heeley, and on into the City Center. The Porter Brook joins the Sheaf somewhere under Midland Station.

Fair comment...The Grist of it got the bitter of Me..!

14 hours ago, FinBak said:

Actually that's a very good point....it's unlikely they would have drawn brewing water from it though as rivers were so polluted by industrial effluent and human/ animal waste in Victorian times that by the early 19th century they were building the reservoirs outside the city to provide clean town water...before Wards moved there from their original site...the rivers stayed polluted until very recently. ...it did though set me thinking.

I'm going completely off the top now, but from memory, there were a cluster of breweries in the area, Wards just near Porter Brook, one on Bramall Lane, one perhaps two now under what is now St Mary's Gate...one on the Polytechnic site, one half way down the Moor...at the other end of the city there was a string from Ladysbridge..Tennants, Gilmour's, Burton Weir, Stones etc, all on the riverside.

My guess is that they may well have used the river waters for the steam engines that powered the breweries for their milling, pumping, lifting needs. It would be interesting to map them out...unfortunately I've never worked out how to put pictures on here!!