Sharrow Lane School 1950s - Reunions

Sorry I can,t make it , but if anyone remembers Alan Hardy from Lansdown Rd and the 139th ,then Hello to you all.

Gotcha' thanks 'sharrowyank'... I guess it would be a fair owd' journey for you to make ! Hope you enjoyed your recent visit here..... All the best and ''Cheers'' from Dj.

Hello again David, I've remembered a few more names.

Bob Hempstock

Mick Linley

Roger Walker.

Roger lived on the same road as me, and we still meet up occasionally for a drink and a chat.

I've also remembered a few of the girls.

Yvonne Cohen

Christine Salmons

Avis Tingle

Valerie Burgin

Mavis Leavesley

Rosamund Pygott

Sandra Cooke

Judith Whitehead

Betty Smedley.

As you say it seems to have been a very good class, in what was a very good school!

And another.....Glenys Marsden....and Patricia Turton

Edited by DavidFrance

Hi everyone. Really looking forward to this reunion.my name is John naylor and I went to Sharrow lane school between 1952-1958. Also my brother Michael naylor went to the school between 1947-1958. I will see if I can get him to come along.. Looking forward to hearing from any of my old school mates and also the reunion...

Hi everyone. Really looking forward to this reunion.my name is John naylor and I went to Sharrow lane school between 1952-1958. Also my brother Michael naylor went to the school between 1947-1958. I will see if I can get him to come along.. Looking forward to hearing from any of my old school mates and also the reunion...

Hi, John .....we shall look forward to seeing you and, hopefully, Michael as well on Friday week. Bring any mates you are in touch with....and photos as well please, especially pictures taken at school. DF

Would pupils who attended Sharrow Lane in the 1970's, be welcome at this reunion? I also attended the centenary back in about 1989, and last year, 2016, would have marked exactly 125 years since the school was fully built. The central building was built first with the primary school building coming next, followed by the extension to the central building in the junior school yard side later. I was brought up on Croydon St and went to Sharrow St Johns playgroup in 1968/9 before starting at Sharrow Lane Infants in January 1970. I left for Abbeydale Grange School in 1976. You may remember a Mrs Timperley at Sharrow Lane.

Would pupils who attended Sharrow Lane in the 1970's, be welcome at this reunion? I also attended the centenary back in about 1989, and last year, 2016, would have marked exactly 125 years since the school was fully built. The central building was built first with the primary school building coming next, followed by the extension to the central building in the junior school yard side later. I was brought up on Croydon St and went to Sharrow St Johns playgroup in 1968/9 before starting at Sharrow Lane Infants in January 1970. I left for Abbeydale Grange School in 1976. You may remember a Mrs Timperley at Sharrow Lane.

'diezeltruck'.... Speaking from my own point of view...... Yes !!...sure thing !.. by all means come along and have a chat to everyone... Cheers from Dj.

Hello there David France - I have just been contacted by my cousin Bob Hoyland to inform me of tomorrow's reunion and I very much hope to attend along with him and his elder brother Bill. My name was Elaine Turner and you were in my class and I remember you very well. I dug out only recently a school photo of several children in the infant's playground which i will bring with me. Unfortunately you are not on it but along with myself I remember Trevor Bingley David Roberts and Pamela Hague - perhaps you will be able to put names to the rest. Look forward very much to meeting folks again.

Thanks so much. I will know at least one, who knows me, who went to the school in the 1940's. The info I gave regarding the building above the sheds, was actually built sometime between 1890 and 1895. I believed it had been added in 1891, but that is not for definate. It was built later, after the main building and the Infants were constructed. I do have some old photo's of teachers in the Queen's Siver Jubillee year of 1977. Most of you lot will probably not know any of them, but they were brilliant teachers. The only teacher's that you may recall, who were at Sharrow Lane when I attended, were Mrs Timperley (Head of Infants) and Mrs Pearson (Deputy Head). My first teacher was called Mrs Ancliffe, who had taught at the school in the 1960s at least. Apparently a bomb hit the main middle building in the early 40s, causing substantial damage to the roof and windows of the boys upper level.

Edited by diezeltruck