Sharrow Lane School 1950s - Reunions

Hello there David France - I have just been contacted by my cousin Bob Hoyland to inform me of tomorrow's reunion and I very much hope to attend along with him and his elder brother Bill. My name was Elaine Turner and you were in my class and I remember you very well. I dug out only recently a school photo of several children in the infant's playground which i will bring with me. Unfortunately you are not on it but along with myself I remember Trevor Bingley David Roberts and Pamela Hague - perhaps you will be able to put names to the rest. Look forward very much to meeting folks again.

Elaine! I remember you too and shall look forward very much to seeing you tomorrow. Bob Ireland will be there along with Valerie Shaw (Woods). Older lads there will be Brian Drabble, Mick Glossop, John Vernon, and younger lads include John Beatson and his bro Geoff, we call ourselves The Fentonvillains! Anybody who recalls Walkers' Chipshop on Fentonville Street (and later Abbeydale Road near Bedale Rd) might recall their daughter Barbara who hopes to be there, too.

Get there early to make sure you get a chair!!! Reminder it's in the old school hall starting 2pm

An open letter to all who attend tomorrows sharrow lane geriatrics meeting. I wish you all a great time and wish I could be with you but the bus from LA wont get there on time.I hope some of you post photos of the event.I was at sharrow from about 1954 /55 til the disaster of my 11 plus in 61.I will raise a glass of Theakstons to you all and soberly sing,

We are the 139 far far away,

We live on bread and jam three times a day,

Eggs and bacon we don't see,

We have sawdust in our tea ,

We are one big family,

Fading away, Fading away. A big DYB DYB DYB . DOB DOB DOB. TO you all.

SHARROWYANK

An open letter to all who attend tomorrows sharrow lane geriatrics meeting. I wish you all a great time and wish I could be with you but the bus from LA wont get there on time.I hope some of you post photos of the event.I was at sharrow from about 1954 /55 til the disaster of my 11 plus in 61.I will raise a glass of Theakstons to you all and soberly sing,

We are the 139 far far away,

We live on bread and jam three times a day,

Eggs and bacon we don't see,

We have sawdust in our tea ,

We are one big family,

Fading away, Fading away. A big DYB DYB DYB . DOB DOB DOB. TO you all.

SHARROWYANK

Oh !... yer can't put yer muck in aar' dustbin, aar' dustbin...aar' dustbin.... Oh ! yer can't put yer muck in aar dustbin aar dustbins' full..-..Fish .n.chips .n vinegar.. vinegar .. vinegar.. fish .n.chips .n vinegar.. pepper pepper pepper pot... Ging gang gully gully gully gully..watcha' ging gang goo... etc...

Cor Blimey ! did we really do all that stuff.... Thanks ''Sharrowyank'' good to hear from you... now you go fry up a Haggis for the boss... All the best from Dj.

---------- Post added 10-02-2017 at 10:24 ----------

Could be tight...but you can all sit crosslegged on the floor! It'll be a laugh!

I'm treating it like a 'Harrods' sale.... I'm camped outside the school at 04.30 with a flask.

Thanks so much. I will know at least one, who knows me, who went to the school in the 1940's. The info I gave regarding the building above the sheds, was actually built sometime between 1890 and 1895. I believed it had been added in 1891, but that is not for definate. It was built later, after the main building and the Infants were constructed. I do have some old photo's of teachers in the Queen's Siver Jubillee year of 1977. Most of you lot will probably not know any of them, but they were brilliant teachers. The only teacher's that you may recall, who were at Sharrow Lane when I attended, were Mrs Timperley (Head of Infants) and Mrs Pearson (Deputy Head). My first teacher was called Mrs Ancliffe, who had taught at the school in the 1960s at least. Apparently a bomb hit the main middle building in the early 40s, causing substantial damage to the roof and windows of the boys upper level.

I never attended Sharrow Lane School but diezeltruck's comments above reminded me that in December 1940 my parents, who lived in Hobart Street, were in the cellars there during the Blitz, as that was their nearest air raid shelter.

Subsequently my grandma lived in the same house and I spent many happy hours in and around the area. My cousin,who did attend the school, lived higher up the lane and went on to King Teds.

I see my primary school, Heeley Bank, is now boarded up and derelict. My secondary school at Frecheville is also no more; so you are fortunate to be able to hold your reunion in the place where you all attended.

I wish you all the best for your get together. I'm sure you'll have a great time reminiscing.

echo.

Many thanks to all the folks who turned up at Sharrow Lane this afternoon and special thanks to the staff at the centre and Kate and her girls for allowing us to use the cafe. It was a great afternoon. Group photos can be seen on the Facebook Sheffield History page and I shall spend some of the bad weather time tomorrow trying to get a short video onto Youtube. If anyone out there has a phone number for Neville Chambers I would be grateful as his email address doesn't work. If you have it, please send me a direct message.

many thanks to those who organised the re-union thoroughly enjoyed meeting old classmates and friends .I look forward to the you tube video. Any of the old guys(Humm)can find me on facebook. Should have got some telephone numbers but with such a long journey home had to dash. regards to all. Derick White.