Bbc Teletext To Be Switched Off

• 7 months later...
3 hours ago, Baron99 said:

BBC have announced that they are keeping the main elements of their Teletext service. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/entertainment-arts-54360998

Late to the party but I didn't realise that it was still a thing.

Fond memories of my dad "watching" the cricket on Teletext in his kitchen so it will always have a place in my heart :) 

On 04/02/2020 at 21:10, makapaka said:

The bbc aren’t telling people how to live their lives - you don’t have to do anything they say - including buy a smart phone - they don’t have to provide you with outdated technology either.

you could just use the smart phone for what you used teletext for - you don’t have to glue yourself to it.

He was referring to you as much as the BBC.  You are telling him again to use a smart phone.

We don't want others telling us what we should do.

I use Teletext too and like him, I don't want a smartphone and I don't want to go on the internet either.

As BBC licence fee payers, we should have a say in the services provided even if it means dropping the "Luvvies" salary a tad.

The BBC are going to lose the licence fee money altogether unless they are very careful.

21 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

He was referring to you as much as the BBC.  You are telling him again to use a smart phone.

We don't want others telling us what we should do.

I use Teletext too and like him, I don't want a smartphone and I don't want to go on the internet either.

As BBC licence fee payers, we should have a say in the services provided even if it means dropping the "Luvvies" salary a tad.

The BBC are going to lose the licence fee money altogether unless they are very careful.

We are all licence fee payers and I think its a perfectly reasonable argument that when budgets have to be managed and resources allocated - some us dont like to see money frittered away on an obsolete system just to pander to a handful of dinosaurs who wont embrance change such as using the internet or owning a smartphone.

The internet of course, being a mainstream technology for most of us for nearly 25 years.  Smartphones for near 10+ years. 

Its a a balance between unreasonably forcing people and people accepting to embrace change. 

You are not being told what to do.   They offer a service which you can choose to subscribe to.   They have full control to choose when they wish to end such service - even more so when hardly anyone still uses it.   Its exactly the same reason why you no longer find a phone box on every corner or cheque books automatically issued by banks....  life moves on.

34 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

We are all licence fee payers and I think its a perfectly reasonable argument that when budgets have to be managed and resources allocated - some us dont like to see money frittered away on an obsolete system just to pander to a handful of dinosaurs who wont embrance change such as using the internet or owning a smartphone.

The internet of course, being a mainstream technology for most of us for nearly 25 years.  Smartphones for near 10+ years. 

Its a a balance between unreasonably forcing people and people accepting to embrace change. 

You are not being told what to do.   They offer a service which you can choose to subscribe to.   They have full control to choose when they wish to end such service - even more so when hardly anyone still uses it.   Its exactly the same reason why you no longer find a phone box on every corner or cheque books automatically issued by banks....  life moves on.

The BBC already fritters money on a grand scale but that appears not to bother you.

I am already using the internet as I reply to your post. I just don't want to use it simply for the news headlines and weather.

It's far quicker to switch the TV on and read teletext than to switch on a computer which I didn't otherwise need to use.
I don't use a smartphone as I have hearing loss which is why I read Teletext.

I embrace any change which I see as beneficial and a smartphone isn't or perhaps you would like the smartphone police to make me.

4 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

The BBC already fritters money on a grand scale but that appears not to bother you.

I am already using the internet as I reply to your post. I just don't want to use it simply for the news headlines and weather.

It's far quicker to switch the TV on and read teletext than to switch on a computer which I didn't otherwise need to use.
I don't use a smartphone as I have hearing loss which is why I read Teletext.

I embrace any change which I see as beneficial and a smartphone isn't or perhaps you would like the smartphone police to make me.

I would suspect its even quicker to see the latest headlines and weather by switching over to one of the 24/7 news channels that your TV licence fee already pays for.  

With respect, as someone with hearing loss, I would suggest that a smart phone would be extremely beneficial to you.  It would give you the ability to operate a range of text based applictions, message services, video calling and of course, news + weather all at the touch of a button and without, as you say, the need to switch on the computer.  I know of entirely deaf people who use them have full signed conversations on video calling.  It all goes back to the embracing change I talk about. 

Regardless, IMO, it still does not justify an organisation spending money to keep providing obsolete technology when the actual users dip below any reasonable level.

1 hour ago, ECCOnoob said:

I would suspect its even quicker to see the latest headlines and weather by switching over to one of the 24/7 news channels that your TV licence fee already pays for.  

With respect, as someone with hearing loss, I would suggest that a smart phone would be extremely beneficial to you.  It would give you the ability to operate a range of text based applictions, message services, video calling and of course, news + weather all at the touch of a button and without, as you say, the need to switch on the computer.  I know of entirely deaf people who use them have full signed conversations on video calling.  It all goes back to the embracing change I talk about. 

Regardless, IMO, it still does not justify an organisation spending money to keep providing obsolete technology when the actual users dip below any reasonable level.

What does it take to convince you when someone just doesn't want, a smartphone, no matter how useful you may think they are?

And, I take it, you know that the number of users have dipped below this figment of imagination "any reasonable level" do you?

23 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

What does it take to convince you when someone just doesn't want, a smartphone, no matter how useful you may think they are?

And, I take it, you know that the number of users have dipped below this figment of imagination "any reasonable level" do you?

Honestly, borrow somebody's smartphone (doesn't need a SIM if you've got wifi) and have a go at the BBC app. It's very good.