Court Ruling Goes Against Johnson

3 minutes ago, hobinfoot said:

The judge said at the beginning this was nothing to do with brexit.

Yes. She was saying that the judgment was made purely on a matter of legal principle,  independent of the reason for it and in that, she is quite right.

The point that I was making was that this particular  judgement has only come about after Johnson’s clear attempt to use prorogation in order to push through his own Brexit agenda.

In other news, John Bercow has announced that Parliament will ‘resume’ tomorrow and Corbyn has brought forward his conference speech in order to attend tomorrow. If Bozo has any sense he will be on the first flight back from New York to avoid the spectacle of being absent from the chamber. 

8 minutes ago, Waldo said:

There is no law to prohibit this particular form of wrong doing. So naturally, PM's can indulge themselves with impunity and without fear of being held accountable.

That's the difference between illegal and unlawful.

6 minutes ago, ads36 said:

Leavers, 2 weeks ago : this prorogation has nothing to do with Brexit.

Leavers, today : they're thwarting Brexit!

(nicked off Twitter)

Looks like we follow the same sources ;)

Further silver lining: Bercows reconvenes Parliament at 11:30 tomorrow, which means that Labour got their conference in, but now the Tories won't. Talk about being hoisted on their own petard! :lol:

Does anyone have a price on Johnson resigning over this? It might be worth a couple of quid.

His hands are tied over no deal, he has said that he will never ask for an extension and it is pretty much accepted that his attempts to get a new deal with Brussels are not serious and unlikely to succeed.

A resignation would solve a lot of his problems in one go. 😁👍

6 minutes ago, ads36 said:

Leavers, 2 weeks ago : this prorogation has nothing to do with Brexit.

Leavers, today : they're thwarting Brexit!

(nicked off Twitter)

Well, that's a bit reductionist isn't it?

I mean, it's not so much an intelligent, well thought out argument that adds to the debate. Still, I'm sure it will have good entertainment value for some.

11 minutes ago, Waldo said:

Well, that's a bit reductionist isn't it?

I mean, it's not so much an intelligent, well thought out argument that adds to the debate. Still, I'm sure it will have good entertainment value for some.

Well, that's a bit reductionist rich isn't it?

1 hour ago, Waldo said:

Not okay for government to ignore parliament.

Perfectly okay for parliament to ignore the will of the people.

The fact if the matter is, the SC decision does not materially impact the current Brexit political situation, save under 2 issues: the current PM may vacate no.10 very prematurely, whence PM no.4 can then have a stab at handling 'Brexit'; and Parliament is reconvening much sooner than Johnson's prorogation allowed, whence it can continue to testiculate over what to do about 'Brexit'.

The default outcome of a no deal Brexit on 31st October, as the extended Art.50 deadline expires, remains wholly unchanged irrespective.

Edited by L00b

Just now, L00b said:

Well, that's a bit reductionist rich isn't it?

Ha, if only I was wearing a hat.

Anyhow, the jist of my complaint, is that one party is allowed to get away with wrong doing, that another party isn't. I'm not making any kind of commentry on the validy of today's ruling, or on Brexit itself.

2 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Not at all.

It very succinctly points out the confused thinking of many Leave supporters.

It's a throwaway BS statement that lumps all Brexiteers together, and suggests they have no possible valid or legitimate points.

Just for clarity though (as a number of people seem to be misrepresenting me as a Brexiteer), I didn't vote leave.

4 minutes ago, Waldo said:

Ha, if only I was wearing a hat.

Anyhow, the jist of my complaint, is that one party is allowed to get away with wrong doing, that another party isn't. I'm not making any kind of commentry on the validy of today's ruling, or on Brexit itself.

what has the other party done that's wrong?