Flood Alerts Sheffield Autumn 2019

Vaati

15 minutes ago, nightrider said:

Did they give people notice to move their cars several weeks in advance? If so they should have towed them away at the owners expense?

No i dont believe they ever have or do, leaf sweeper is a little scarab type thing and gulley cleaners are probably contracted.

10 minutes ago, atticus said:

If anyone is thinking of driving around the city on main routes my advice would be don’t . It’s bad now and will get much worse .

2007 again?

It could be if the river(s) break their banks.  Luckily, at present, it appears to be mainly surface water, so fingers crossed.  However, I believe the forecast for the next few days is rain so it's not looking promising.

1 hour ago, avalunche said:

Funny they used the word gates.  Floodgates?   Meadowhall has doors not gates.

Can report the Don at Kelham is quite high and moving very fast.

Metal flood barriers were installed around Meadowhall on the river side after the 2007 floods; you can see them around the back of the Oasis.  They also replaced the iron gates on the footbridge to protect the road when the wall on Meadowhall Road was built up as part of the flood defences following the floods.

• mort pinned this topic