Angela Smith

I would bet she doesn't stand a chance,  Graham Brady, Tory,  has had this safe seat ever since his prececessor Montgomery retired over two decades ago,  and he is very popular, and chairman of the '22' Committee.

Edited by cressida

22 hours ago, Colin Foster said:

Agreed. She knows full well she's no chance of holding the seat as a Lib Dem and she knew when she defected she wasn't representing the wishes of the constituents who voted for her.

I wouldn't fully rule out Lib Dems in the next General Election, they won 4 of the 6 council wards here in 2019 so I reckon if the Tory vote splits to Brexit Party they have a good chance of finishing second and an outside chance of winning the constituency, it is debatable whether Angela Smith would actually help them though.

I think we need more MPs who will stand up for what the believe and not simply be lobby fodder and voting for whatever they are told by their party.

lets not forget there will be many in the constituency who support her actions even if the idea of creating a new party was somewhat ill thought out

2 hours ago, Longcol said:

MP's aren't employees of a party (whether Lab, Con, LibDem etc).

Oh I know but its about time the parliamentary process allows that to happen so that they can then face the same fate in parliament as anybody else that changes. I think the consensus with the voters is they would like that or at least allow them to put forward a vote of no confidence in them by having the current rules amended. BTW who employs them?

Edited by apelike