What Are You Watching On Tv At This Moment ?

pattricia

7 hours ago, TOM PEPPER said:

A bit slow,same here.

I watched episode three and decided to give episode four a chance. Is it just me but has there been a lack of good T.V dramas lately? I watched 'Blue Lights' and the reviews implied it was as good as the first series, I really thought that it wasn't.  Same with 'The Responder'

Just watched D-Day.  Hour by Hour on Channel 4.

Every time I watch anything about the 6th June 1944 it amazes me. The organisation, coordination and scale of the operation  simply beggars belief. 
And the bravery shown by all those 150,000 troops who were involved in storming those well defended beaches has to be seen to be believed. 4,400 died and more than 5,000 were injured on D-Day itself and in the ensuing Battle for Normandy a further 73,000 allied men were lost and 153,000 injured and also about 20,000 civilians were killed.

What a human price to pay to establish our freedom from tyranny.

We must never forget the sacrifices made by all those men and women.

God bless all those who took part.

echo.

4 minutes ago, echo beach said:

Every time I watch anything about the 6th June 1944 it amazes me. The organisation, coordination and scale of the operation  simply beggars belief. 
And the bravery shown by all those 150,000 troops who were involved in storming those well defended beaches has to be seen to be believed. 4,400 died and more than 5,000 were injured on D-Day itself and in the ensuing Battle for Normandy a further 73,000 allied men were lost and 153,000 injured and also about 20,000 civilians were killed.

echo.

I've watched it too.

No words can describe those brave men and women.

Great post Echo.

10 hours ago, Padders said:

I've watched it too.

No words can describe those brave men and women.

Great post Echo.

All heroes,when you look at today's so called celebs getting awards it makes you sick.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, echo beach said:

echo.

Twenty years ago my husband and myself were on a camping holiday in France.     I was driving and accidently missed our turn off on the motorway ( my husband was asleep but as soon as he woke up knew we were not heading the way we should be ! )   He took over the driving and as it was late afternoon we headed for Normandy ( miles from where we intended to be )

My mistake turned out to be the best mistake ever.  Unbeknownst to us it was the 60th anniversary of the D Day landings and it was such a wonderful experience that we ended up staying there for a week before moving on.  We actually camped on the cliffs above Omaha Beach.  At first I thought I'd be bored  ..........  I couldn't have been more wrong !   It's an amazing place, very poignant which everybody ought to visit in their lifetime.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, echo beach said:

echo.

I agree with you Echo we must never forget the sacrifice made and the thousands of soldiers lives lost during the First and Second World War.  I always try my best to go to the  Remembrance Day Service either In Newcastle or Sheffield.  

Thank you to all the soldiers who made the ultimate sacrifice for our freedom.

3 hours ago, francypants said:

Twenty years ago my husband and myself were on a camping holiday in France.     I was driving and accidently missed our turn off on the motorway ( my husband was asleep but as soon as he woke up knew we were not heading the way we should be ! )   He took over the driving and as it was late afternoon we headed for Normandy ( miles from where we intended to be )

My mistake turned out to be the best mistake ever.  Unbeknownst to us it was the 60th anniversary of the D Day landings and it was such a wonderful experience that we ended up staying there for a week before moving on.  We actually camped on the cliffs above Omaha Beach.  At first I thought I'd be bored  ..........  I couldn't have been more wrong !   It's an amazing place, very poignant which everybody ought to visit in their lifetime.

I agree with you about everyone should visit Omaha Beach.  Also Bayeux War Cemetery, it’s so moving reading the grave stones and how old the soldiers were when they died. It’s immaculate how it is kept, you can’t help being moved.  Schools should do trips there. 

1 hour ago, hauxwell said:

I agree with you about everyone should visit Omaha Beach.  Also Bayeux War Cemetery, it’s so moving reading the grave stones and how old the soldiers were when they died. It’s immaculate how it is kept, you can’t help being moved.  Schools should do trips there. 

I agree.

5 hours ago, francypants said:

Agree entirely francy.

That trip is on my bucket list and my youngest son keeps asking”When are we going to those D-Day beaches Dad?”

A few years ago whilst visiting Rome we decided to take the 2 hour train journey south to Monte Cassino. After visiting the monastery we  walked to the Commonwealth War Cemetery at the foot of the mountain. There we met a group of ex servicemen from Scotland who were looking for the graves of fallen comrades from their regiment.

One of them said they had also been to the Polish Cemetery which is close to the summit and he was alright until two young Polish girls came and started singing hymns. That made him breakdown.

I think once you visit these immaculately kept places and read the inscriptions on the gravestones then if you don’t feel emotional then you don’t have a heart. I know I have and when I do eventually visit the beaches and cemeteries in Normandy I’ll feel exactly the same as I did then.

echo.

13 hours ago, echo beach said:

Agree entirely francy.

That trip is on my bucket list and my youngest son keeps asking”When are we going to those D-Day beaches Dad?”

A few years ago whilst visiting Rome we decided to take the 2 hour train journey south to Monte Cassino. After visiting the monastery we  walked to the Commonwealth War Cemetery at the foot of the mountain. There we met a group of ex servicemen from Scotland who were looking for the graves of fallen comrades from their regiment.

One of them said they had also been to the Polish Cemetery which is close to the summit and he was alright until two young Polish girls came and started singing hymns. That made him breakdown.

I think once you visit these immaculately kept places and read the inscriptions on the gravestones then if you don’t feel emotional then you don’t have a heart. I know I have and when I do eventually visit the beaches and cemeteries in Normandy I’ll feel exactly the same as I did then.

echo.

Ah!   Monte Cassino.

My dad was a gunner in the Royal Artillery in WW2 and fought at the bloody battle of Monte Cassino.

He always wanted to return there to visit the graves of two of his war pals and pay his respects.   This we did in 1970 when I was 15.

I remember it being a deeply humbling experience which I've never forgotten.

R.I.P to all the fallen Heroes.

• Like 1