What Are You Watching On Tv At This Moment ?

pattricia

22 minutes ago, PRESLEY said:

It could shape up?  Just watch the next five epsisodes on BBC I Player you will see it does shape up, and its very true about how the Aussies treated all the X pats from different countries and the Aboriginals.  

It got bad reviews in The Daily Mail but I thought it was very good. The only part which I thought was unbelievable was when the young English woman stole some keys out of this man’s pocket.

Edited by pattricia

5 minutes ago, Anna B said:

So I believe. White Brits being on the end of blatant racial prejudice is interesting.

Might make a few people wake up to what it feels like.

True, I have watched the full six epsisodes and saw no exaguration of the bad treatment recieved, from reading the airmails sent to  my mother from her brother and sister explaining the ups ( very few ) and downs from that given time, they were both ten pound poms. 

10 minutes ago, pattricia said:

It got bad reviews in The Daily Mail but I thought it was very good. The only part which I thought was unbelievable was when the young English woman stole some keys out of this man’s pocket.

The part your on about is more believable than some stuff you see on TV,  for example,  Rambo fighting a full Vietnamise army on his own. :hihi:

My Australian relative's family was amongst the first white settlers in Australia.

She  tells me her great- great- relative used to go to church on a Sunday morning, then spent the afternoon out on his horse "Hunting Abboes"  (Aborigines) with a shotgun....  It was perfectly legal apparently. 

Happy to say they've come a long way since.

1 hour ago, Anna B said:

My Australian relative's family was amongst the first white settlers in Australia.

She  tells me her great- great- relative used to go to church on a Sunday morning, then spent the afternoon out on his horse "Hunting Abboes"  (Aborigines) with a shotgun....  It was perfectly legal apparently. 

Happy to say they've come a long way since.

When the Poms were getting stick from the Aussies,  they should have held there heads  ups high and said   English and the Irish were the first white settlers which made the Aussies decendents, in other words the Poms where in Australia first, actually thats  probably  why the Aussies disliked us at that time and even today.  :hihi:   And to rub it in,  the first white baby to be born in Australia was the daughter of a British couple in 1789. 

On 16/05/2023 at 22:32, PRESLEY said:

When the Poms were getting stick from the Aussies,  they should have held there heads  ups high and said   English and the Irish were the first white settlers which made the Aussies decendents, in other words the Poms where in Australia first, actually thats  probably  why the Aussies disliked us at that time and even today.  :hihi:   And to rub it in,  the first white baby to be born in Australia was the daughter of a British couple in 1789. 

From family history research I found that my 3x great grandfather John Aspinall who was born 1801 and was a hairdresser in Sheffield (Broad Street) was sent to Australia in 1833 for stealing a roll of cloth and some handkerchiefs. His sentence was 7 years servitude leaving behind a wife and 2 young children in Sheffield, I'm descended from his son William Henry Aspinall. John Aspinall was a good and loyal worker, his boss to whom he was assigned, saved his wages and at the end of his 7 years he opened a hairdressing shop in Australia. His marriage in Sheffield was anulled, he wasn't allowed back,  he married an Irish bride who'd been brought in to colonise Australia, they had several more children, he had a successful business and died aged 74.

The Australians who are descended from John Aspinall are proud to be descended from a "crim" especially one whose crimes were very petty.

Life for him must have been so different in Australia from the grime of Sheffield, I don't know if it was better or worse than the people who went in the 50's/60's.

Regards,

Duffems

Guest ThaBoom

Watched the short true life drama Steeltown Murders.

Very good and loved how it was set both in 1973 and early 2000s in flashbacks.