What Are You Watching On Tv At This Moment ?

pattricia

On 22/10/2020 at 21:35, hauxwell said:

Life.

There is six episodes and they are all on iplayer.  Thought I would give it a try and I’ve enjoy watching it.

I also  watched Life and apart from the unnecessary frequent use of the f-word, I quite enjoyed it.

I particularly liked the Alison Steadman storyline, as she is one of my favourite actors. 

If you've seen the 1970s great play Abigail’s Party which I watched on BBC Iplayer the other day you will be aware of how versatile an actress she is by seeing her play that dreadful but sad character Beverly. She was brilliant in that. 

I read somewhere that in an interview she gave she said that " There's a bit of Beverly in all of us". 

I dare not admit which bit of Beverly I may possess 😀

Currently watching 'Queens Gambit' mini series on Netflix. Very impressed so far (up to episode 3). Young American orphan girl becomes chess prodigy, and kicks the boy's asses (well, mostly). I'm a massive chess fan, but it's so well made, and not too heavy on the technical aspects of chess, it's more to do with the character development and experience of this young woman as she navigates her way through the world of chess and life; as such it should appeal to a wider audience than just chess fans.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10048342/

Edited by Waldo

Rebecca_poster.jpg

Could easily have put this on the film thread, but I watched it on telly. Thank God for Sky and NETFLIX throughout the pandemic. Their variation has kept us sane.

Anyway.....Wonderfully lush adaptation. Kristin Scott Thomas is marvellous as the spiteful, vindictive, Mrs Danvers. You almost feel like hissing and booing when she comes on screen.

Battlestar galatica. The new one. We all know the basic plotline but the destination is far more in depth than the one from the early 80s. Midrange, Stargate level effects, but its much darker in tone, with alot of the storylines appearing to mimic elements of the second gulf war. Decent acting and some interesting casting choices (Starbuck is a woman, way before that sort of thing was trendy). I'm just over halfway through and I'm enjoying it.

But, despite enjoying each episode, it's dragging. I want to get to the end to see how we get there, which isn't like me. Maybe it's because I've been watching shorter shows. Maybe it's because they don't wear capes at formal occasions like the original. 

Worth a watch if you didn't catch it first time round.

1 hour ago, tinfoilhat said:

Battlestar galatica. The new one. We all know the basic plotline but the destination is far more in depth than the one from the early 80s. Midrange, Stargate level effects, but its much darker in tone, with alot of the storylines appearing to mimic elements of the second gulf war. Decent acting and some interesting casting choices (Starbuck is a woman, way before that sort of thing was trendy). I'm just over halfway through and I'm enjoying it.

But, despite enjoying each episode, it's dragging. I want to get to the end to see how we get there, which isn't like me. Maybe it's because I've been watching shorter shows. Maybe it's because they don't wear capes at formal occasions like the original. 

Worth a watch if you didn't catch it first time round.

Son raved about that. Just never had the time to watch it. Too much other stuff I'd rather see/investigate. 

I do know that the revamped Battlestar G got great reviews though.

2 hours ago, wearysmith said:

Son raved about that. Just never had the time to watch it. Too much other stuff I'd rather see/investigate. 

I do know that the revamped Battlestar G got great reviews though.

On iplayer/sky if you fancy giving it a bash. But it's 4 series, and series 2,3 and 4 are 20 episodes each so it's a commitment!