What Are You Watching On Tv At This Moment ?

pattricia

On 26/10/2020 at 18:00, janie48 said:

I also  watched Life and apart from the unnecessary frequent use of the f-word, I quite enjoyed it.

I particularly liked the Alison Steadman storyline, as she is one of my favourite actors. 

If you've seen the 1970s great play Abigail’s Party which I watched on BBC Iplayer the other day you will be aware of how versatile an actress she is by seeing her play that dreadful but sad character Beverly. She was brilliant in that. 

I read somewhere that in an interview she gave she said that " There's a bit of Beverly in all of us". 

I dare not admit which bit of Beverly I may possess 😀

I recall physically cringing when watching 'Abigail's Party' for the first time. Almost hiding behind a cushion. I was 19 when I first saw it on TV. It was clear that Alison Steadman was the best thing in it. I saw it again when it came out on VHS in the early 80s, rented from a video shop (remember those?) in Fulwood. My wife hadn't seen it before. We both watched from behind cushions that time.

That said, Steadman's finest hour, for me, was her role in 'The Singing Detective'. Heartbreaking performance. The beloved also reckons that 'Gavin & Stacey' wouldn't have been as huge if Steadman hadn't got that part. She's probably right.

image.png

On 22/10/2020 at 08:07, pattricia said:

Also watched this Cressy and found it very good. It’s interesting to see who stays together after the show is over.

Watched last nights episode, call me a big girls blouse but I nearly had to reach for the tissues a couple of times,  the elderly couple in their eighties, they brought a tear to my eyes,  talk about tough generation tougher than todays wimp society,  then the black couple so glad to the light at the end of the tunnel  came for the fella, the posh chap made me laugh but glad he found his cup of cha. Smashing show.  

On 26/10/2020 at 18:00, janie48 said:

I also  watched Life and apart from the unnecessary frequent use of the f-word, I quite enjoyed it.

I particularly liked the Alison Steadman storyline, as she is one of my favourite actors. 

If you've seen the 1970s great play Abigail’s Party which I watched on BBC Iplayer the other day you will be aware of how versatile an actress she is by seeing her play that dreadful but sad character Beverly. She was brilliant in that. 

I read somewhere that in an interview she gave she said that " There's a bit of Beverly in all of us". 

I dare not admit which bit of Beverly I may possess 😀

I also liked the Alison Steadman storyline best.  I haven’t seen Abigail’s Party but I will make a note of it.

If there is a bit of Beverly in all of us I hope you still  possess the carefree Beverly before she married her husband and not the controlled and dominated woman she was turned into.

Watched the BBC's "Imagine" programme last night - Alan Yentob and a family of astounding musicians in Nottingham.

I'm not an authority on classical music, but the skills that the family of seven siblings (and another guitarist pal from Brazil) possess was breathtaking.

Pure talent, pure class.

On 29/10/2020 at 11:07, wearysmith said:

I recall physically cringing when watching 'Abigail's Party' for the first time. Almost hiding behind a cushion. I was 19 when I first saw it on TV. It was clear that Alison Steadman was the best thing in it. I saw it again when it came out on VHS in the early 80s, rented from a video shop (remember those?) in Fulwood. My wife hadn't seen it before. We both watched from behind cushions that time.

That said, Steadman's finest hour, for me, was her role in 'The Singing Detective'. Heartbreaking performance. The beloved also reckons that 'Gavin & Stacey' wouldn't have been as huge if Steadman hadn't got that part. She's probably right.

image.png

I missed "The Singing Dectective" heard it was popular though. 

Must look out for it, they are showing a lot of repeats lately. 

On 29/10/2020 at 16:49, hauxwell said:

I also liked the Alison Steadman storyline best.  I haven’t seen Abigail’s Party but I will make a note of it.

If there is a bit of Beverly in all of us I hope you still  possess the carefree Beverly before she married her husband and not the controlled and dominated woman she was turned into.

Beverly is the character she plays in Abigail’s Party. 

If you decide to watch it  it was on BBC 4 Play for Today and is still on Iplayer. 

I’m pleased Janie48 mentioned Abigails Party, at first I thought it was a bit dated when I first started to watch it, but that is partly why I enjoyed it so much, and the good acting particularly by Alison Steadman an actress who I haven’t watched much until she was in the TV series Life.  No mobile phones in this play and you could buy a house in a decent area for £21,000.  

I will keep my eyes open for Nuts in May now Rollypolly has mentioned it.