What Are You Watching On Tv At This Moment ?

pattricia

4 hours ago, Mr Allen said:

I've been watching the Snooker, some good action this year, Steve Davis needs to shut up though, he ain't been relevant in about 35 years :D 

One of the best players ever to grace the game with a huge wealth of knowledge certainly is relevant and will be for years to come. 

23 hours ago, Mr Allen said:

I've been watching the Snooker, some good action this year, Steve Davis needs to shut up though, he ain't been relevant in about 35 years :D 

8 world finals, 6 World titles, ranked no1 for 7 years running, first player to get a maximum break in a competition, and the only snooker player to get sports personality of the year. I'd say that makes him pretty relevant to the sport. 

23 hours ago, Mr Allen said:

I think snooker needs to keep people who really understand the sport they are presenting.  I keep seeing a rash of comedians and "celebrities" infultrating sports programs, and it infuriates me.  I'd rather have top ex-players any day.  I can see that Steve Davis's last titles were many years ago, so he's moving now more into interviewing current top players who are presenting alongside him - I note that Judd Trump was a guest recently..  I think that is the way forward.

When people are thinking of changing things round, this needs careful thought.  The current top players are not really trained in presenting the sport, so need "easing in"  If not, we may see top ex-players being replaced by flavour of the year celebrities like Radzi, Clare Balding, Mark Wright and so on!  Would we really value the opinion of these people over those of top ex-Pro's?

1 minute ago, Thirsty Relic said:

I think snooker needs to keep people who really understand the sport they are presenting.  I keep seeing a rash of comedians and "celebrities" infultrating sports programs, and it infuriates me.  I'd rather have top ex-players any day.  I can see that Steve Davis's last titles were many years ago, so he's moving now more into interviewing current top players who are presenting alongside him - I note that Judd Trump was a guest recently..  I think that is the way forward.

When people are thinking of changing things round, this needs careful thought.  The current top players are not really trained in presenting the sport, so need "easing in"  If not, we may see top ex-players being replaced by flavour of the year celebrities like Radzi, Clare Balding, Mark Wright and so on!  Would we really value the opinion of these people over those of top ex-Pro's?

Radzi isn't a top Snooker player though, he was a "contender" on Gladiators nearly 30 years ago :D 

3 minutes ago, Mr Allen said:

Radzi isn't a top Snooker player though, he was a "contender" on Gladiators nearly 30 years ago :D 

Exactly my point.  Why is he on presenting snooker?  Why is ex-jockey Clare often on the box commentating on many other sports, why are so many women commentating on mens football?, why did I turn my tele on recently and see so-called comedian Tom Allen commentating on a football match?

In all of them, I'd rather have people presenting and commentating on sports they either currently perform in at the top level, or did in the past.  They are the ones that know the sport, and have competed against or alongside the people that are commentating on.  That adds so much to their input.

1 hour ago, Thirsty Relic said:

Exactly my point.  Why is he on presenting snooker?  Why is ex-jockey Clare often on the box commentating on many other sports, why are so many women commentating on mens football?, why did I turn my tele on recently and see so-called comedian Tom Allen commentating on a football match?

In all of them, I'd rather have people presenting and commentating on sports they either currently perform in at the top level, or did in the past.  They are the ones that know the sport, and have competed against or alongside the people that are commentating on.  That adds so much to their input.

Clare Balding was commentating on the Boat Race the other week,  what about the saying,  horses for coursers,  not saying she looks like a horse or owt.  :gag:

20 hours ago, Thirsty Relic said:

Wonder what they'd say if you went to see a comedian and a footballer/golfer/rugby player did the gig?