General Election 12 December.

Message added by nikki-red

This is NOT to become a second Brexit thread.

Thank you.

12 minutes ago, hobinfoot said:

I can’t see anything but a conservative win looking at the opposition. I think they will get an overall majority not a big one but a workable one.

I absolutely agree there is only one way the General Election result will go and that is an overall majority for the Conservative Party.  The 2015 General Election result was a surprise because most people expected a hung Parliament.   Boris has much more support from traditional Labour voters than David Cameron ever did.  The Labour Party are less electable now than they were when  Ed Miliband led them in 2015 and Corbyn's popularity has fallen since the 2017 General Election.  I predict the Conservative Party will win with a bigger majority than David Cameron had in 2015 and also won't have the rebel MPs that Boris inherited. It's all looking positive  for a good Christmas and a happy new year when Brexit will be implemented meaning our country can finally move on.

No matter how they spin this it will be a Brexit election. I'm not sure it will leave a majority though to sort Brexit out one way or another. I know two people so far that have said they don't see any point in voting after all that's gone off with Brexit and in sure there will be others.

Boris will probably get my vote but I'll have a good look at Brexit partys manifesto aswell before deciding

17 minutes ago, NERVY-OWL said:

No matter how they spin this it will be a Brexit election. I'm not sure it will leave a majority though to sort Brexit out one way or another. I know two people so far that have said they don't see any point in voting after all that's gone off with Brexit and in sure there will be others.

Boris will probably get my vote but I'll have a good look at Brexit partys manifesto aswell before deciding

You could probably put the Brexit mobs manifesto on a betting slip.

Edited by Mister Gee

Listening to Boris’s electioneering today he is promising big spending on Health,Schools,Police ,Social Care.

This against over £70billion cost of Brexit so far and forecast reduction of GDP as a result of Brexit over the next 15 years.

Believe this man at your peril.

It is a Brexit GA,and how the majority of the population can anticipate any benefits defies logic.

3 minutes ago, RJRB said:

Listening to Boris’s electioneering today he is promising big spending on Health,Schools,Police ,Social Care.

This against over £70billion cost of Brexit so far and forecast reduction of GDP as a result of Brexit over the next 15 years.

Believe this man at your peril.

It is a Brexit GA,and how the majority of the population can anticipate any benefits defies logic.

All the things the Tories have spent the last nine years slashing.

Edited by Mister Gee

1 hour ago, hobinfoot said:

I can’t see anything but a conservative win looking at the opposition. I think they will get an overall majority not a big one but a workable one.

Early days, but this is roughly my thoughts too.

Depends on what the brexit party do though. I think the majority might be very slight, or no majority and Brexit take seats, they'd have to join up, and only these who might join the Torys.

I think LibDem and Labour will split each others votes and hence not enough to out the Torys.

Obviously wouldn't happen, but if they (LibLab) made a pact pre-election, they could potentially walk it.

Edited by *_ash_*

20 minutes ago, *_ash_* said:

Obviously wouldn't happen, but if they (LibLab) made a pact pre-election, they could potentially walk it.

Of course it would be much easier for Labour to adopt a Remain stance and ditch Brexiteer Corbyn, then they wouldn’t have to rely on any other party for support in forming a government.

As it is, the best that Labour can hope for is a coalition with the SNP, Lib Dems and the Greens which of course will come at a price.

13 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Of course it would be much easier for Labour to adopt a Remain stance and ditch Brexiteer Corbyn, then they wouldn’t have to rely on any other party for support in forming a government.

As it is, the best that Labour can hope for is a coalition with the SNP, Lib Dems and the Greens which of course will come at a price.

top point - It's possibly the easiest potential win for any opposition in history, and yet Labour have stuck with him, and so it's unlikely that they will win. If this was 20 odd years ago, and Blair was the leader in opposition, this would unquestionably be as big/or bigger a win than he managed then.

All I can say is thank ****!

-

bottom point - yes, I posted elsewhere that - at the moment and early days so anything can happen! - but I think the outcome is most likely small maj Tory, or hung parliament with either Tory/Brexit coalition, or Lab LibDem SNP coalition. (with others joining in with some promises. SNP will join if they adopt some form of ScotRef2 addition to the deal, like a shot!)