General Election 12 December.

Message added by nikki-red

This is NOT to become a second Brexit thread.

Thank you.

Jo Swinson's Liberal Democrats have promised that a majority win for them at the election is a mandate to revoke Article 50 and cancel Brexit without another EU referendum. But a majority for the Tories will require a further mandate, another referendum, to get Brexit done. 

When has it ever been fair or democratic to cancel a referendum vote?

Edited by Car Boot

15 minutes ago, Car Boot said:

Jo Swinson's Liberal Democrats have promised that a majority win for them at the election is a mandate to revoke Article 50 and cancel Brexit without another EU referendum. But a majority for the Tories will require a further mandate, another referendum, to get Brexit done. 

Eh?

If the Tories get a majority they could  pass anything they want with regard to Brexit - certainly don't need another referendum.

You do seem keen on the Tories winning 🙂

Edited by Longcol

8 minutes ago, Car Boot said:

Wow, you really have it in for Jo Swinson and the Lib Dems don't you Mr. Boot? What you worried about? Any leave option on any future EU related vote will nail it won't they? After all, It's what the people want isn't it?

Relax man, you're mission to make the poor poorer is nearly complete. Go treat yourself to a ginger beer, you deserve it.

20 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Chief Rabbi is a big Tory apparently.

If, as he says, it's been a problem for some time, he's chosen a curious time to voice his concerns. I wonder why he's chosen to do it now? Any ideas?

For exactly the same reason why the Muslim Council has chosen this particular moment to raise lots of criticism about the Tory party for alleged islamophobia.

Happens every election time.   

The biggest problem for Corbyn is he simply can't help himself. 

Taking decisive action is not his strong point.  Dithering along burying his head in the sand all the time.  Even the simple step of doing a public apology which would have clearly diffused the situation and pushed focus back on the Tories own problems was simply beyond  him 

Good god a neanderthal could have predicted how that was going to pan out in the papers the next day and surprise surprise he is now the focus for all the wrong reasons.

For someone with such a lengthy career in politics it's almost astounding they can be thick as mince.

Fit for office?    I don't think so.  

Edited by ECCOnoob

What a mess.

And with an election caught right in the middle. Half the people think it's all about Brexit, and the other half think it's all about chosing a future government. . .  So, confusion on all fronts.

However one things for sure, it has shown the shortcomings of the current system, how corrupt it is, and how useless our politicians are. Whatever the outcome, nothing's going to be the same again, and I suspect whoever is in power is going to get a rough ride.

It's going to take a long time to regain people's trust and respect. That's if it's even possible. 

20 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Chief Rabbi is a big Tory apparently.

If, as he says, it's been a problem for some time, he's chosen a curious time to voice his concerns. I wonder why he's chosen to do it now? Any ideas?

hes a good friend of Boris Johnson and congratulated him in July after he won the race to be leader / pm

1 minute ago, Anna B said:

What a mess.

And with an election caught right in the middle. Half the people think it's all about Brexit, and the other half think it's all about chosing a future government. . .  So, confusion on all fronts.

However one things for sure, it has shown the shortcomings of the current system, how corrupt it is, and how useless our politicians are. Whatever the outcome, nothing's going to be the same again, and I suspect whoever is in power is going to get a rough ride.

It's going to take a long time to regain people's trust and respect. That's if it's even possible. 

It's always been about Brexit, without it there would not have been two general elections in just over two years. The trick here is to make sure Mr.Johnson doesn't get an overall majority then we will be golden. ;)

10 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

For exactly the same reason why the Muslim Council has chosen this particular moment to raise lots of criticism about the Tory party for alleged islamophobia.

Happens every election time.   

The biggest problem for Corbyn is he simply can't help himself. 

Taking decisive action is not his strong point.  Dithering along burying his head in the sand all the time.  Even the simple step of doing a public apology which would have clearly diffused the situation and pushed focus back on the Tories own problems was simply beyond  him 

Good god a neanderthal could have predicted how that was going to pan out in the papers the next day and surprise surprise he is now the focus for all the wrong reasons.

For someone with such a lengthy career in politics it's almost astounding they can be thick as mince.

Fit for office?    I don't think so.  

Does it?

I've witnessed a fair few general elections and don't remember anti-semitism being an issue. Certainly not the major issue that this has been blown up into. But then I've never known an election which has been so full off underhand tricks and vile abuse, with a media so desparate to sway the electorate in one direction. 

Democracy?  - don't make me laugh. 

Edited by Anna B

15 minutes ago, melthebell said:

hes a good friend of Boris Johnson and congratulated him in July after he won the race to be leader / pm

I wonder if the Chief Rabbi will say anything about Johnson's support for the anti-semitic Hungarian leader Viktor Orban.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/apr/09/boris-johnson-slated-for-congratulating-viktor-orban-after-election-win

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2019/feb/13/hungary-tells-uk-jewish-group-to-mind-its-own-business-over-antisemitism

Edited by Longcol