General Election 12 December.

Message added by nikki-red

This is NOT to become a second Brexit thread.

Thank you.

9 minutes ago, L00b said:

Yes, I'm aware of their applicability during UK elections, and of their purpose. I'd even bet some money that most people aren't aware of the muslim/hindu origin and practice behind the word.

What has not been explained so far, is why they would apply to a Parliamentary (therefore legitimate) cross-party (therefore politically unbiased) fact-finding (therefore objective rather than opinionated) report.

I was hoping that, given the assertiveness of your earlier claim, you could shed some light on that, maybe with a link or two (to the actual rules you mention, and/or a quote from an independent and reasonably authoritative source).

Sadly, that doesn't seem possible, does it?

Read the House of Commons rules on purdah. And purdah relates to a curtain.

1 hour ago, CaptainSwing said:

I'd just add a couple of things.

Firstly, by my reckoning the calls for the report to be released began before the start of the five-weeks-and-a-day purdah period.

Secondly, if it falls under the purdah rules, why aren't the Tories just saying, "Sorry, it can't be published because of the purdah rules"?  With all the expensive lawyers and "evil genius" Mr Cummings at their disposal, they're unlikely to have missed that one.

A minister said on the daily politics that the report can’t be released under purdah. He said that it would be published after the election. Non of the other guests seemed unhappy with this answer including the Mirrors political editor. Also the other parties don’t seem to be making anything out of this so it’s reasonable to assume the purdah rule is correct on this subject.

Edited by hobinfoot

The Tories don't release anything detrimental unless they have to.

1 hour ago, CaptainSwing said:

I see there's also a paywalled Telegraph article where Grant Shapps aka Michael Green seems to be saying the same thing.  So OK, I admit that the Tories are in fact using this argument.    Doesn't prove that it's a valid argument, even if the Mirror's political editor didn't say anything about it on the Daily Politics.

Meanwhile the rest of the country is thinking "cover up" and keeping their fingers crossed that the next government isn't immediately revealed to be in the pockets of Russian oligarchs.

And it still doesn't explain why they refused to release the report before the pre-election period began on 7th November.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/nov/04/no-10-blocks-russia-eu-referendum-report-until-after-election

The Tories won't release anything detrimental unless they have to.

Guest makapaka

The tories;

prime minister elected without a majority and forms a coalition.

prime minister instigates a referendum to leave the eu which he personally disagrees with.

prime minister resigns cos he loses referendum he disagrees with.

prime minister is elected without general election and triggers article 50 setting clock ticking on leaving EU.

prime minister triggers general election and loses majority and has to enter pact with small party of NI politicians to form government.
prime minister fails to achieve majority to support deal to leave EU and resigns.

prime minister is elected without general election and is found to have misled queen and unlawfully prorogued parliament.

primer minister calls general election.................

if you can still choose to vote for this party - even on this one issue - and putting aside bedroom tax, universal credit and all the rest - then there is no hope for any of us.

Edited by makapaka

Another chapter in the Johnson / Cummings masterplan?

Or Farage spitting the dummy out?  (What happened to all SF's loyal Faragists from all of a few months ago?)

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/boris-johnson-news-live-brexit-general-election-updates-today-candidates-deadline-a9202446.html

Farage threatens to report Tories to police over peerage claims

Nigel Farage has suggested he may report the Conservatives to police over their alleged attempts to bribe Brexit Party candidates into pulling out of marginal seats.

He told the Daily Telegraph the alleged conduct of Number 10 amounted to "full-on Venezuelan style corruption".

He added: "I expect there will be Police investigations into what has gone on here ... The offer of peerages for material return is clearly an offence. And I think this may unravel over the next couple of days.

"'There are lots of peerages being offered ... Today has been in industrial scale attempt to stop free and open politics happening in our country."

Conservatives have denied any jobs or peerages were offered to the Brexit Party.

Edited by Longcol

Judging by tonight's Question Time, the penny is finally beginning to drop that the Conservatives are no longer the party 'Born to Rule.'

They are beginning to realise that the electorate is now better informed about the machinations of politicians and will no longer fall unquestioningly for their corruption, lies and spin.   

Edited by Anna B