General Election 12 December.

Message added by nikki-red

This is NOT to become a second Brexit thread.

Thank you.

Well  we know what will happen after the election, Brexit done fast at any cost from Johnson, then just more of the same, more austerity. I don't believe a single one of his pledges. He'll go back on them all.

Corbyn will tackle the real issues that affect us all at last, and take a bit longer over Brexit, but be guided by the will of the people. 

IMO Corbyn got into his stride in the second half while Johnson floundered.

I wonder what the viewing figures were?

Edited by Anna B

54 minutes ago, Anna B said:

After the break, questions about Prince andrew? What's that got to do with it?

They need a miKe that cuts out when time is up....

Julie Etchingham fnding it tough, but doing well.

I thought the programme was absolutely awful. A real insult to the intelligence of most people - reducing a series of important issues where soundbites were not on unchallenged, but actively encouraged.

The inclusion of an audience was a mistake - their incessant clapping was irritating and off putting.

I do agree with your point about  a mike that cuts out when time is up.

1 hour ago, Anna B said:

Well  we know what will happen after the election, Brexit done fast at any cost from Johnson, then just more of the same, more austerity. I don't believe a single one of his pledges. He'll go back on them all.

Corbyn will tackle the real issues that affect us all at last, and take a bit longer over Brexit, but be guided by the will of the people. 

I thought both made some good points and non came out on top. The first poll gave it to Johnson a 52% to 49%.

Edited by hobinfoot

46 minutes ago, Mister M said:

I thought the programme was absolutely awful. A real insult to the intelligence of most people - reducing a series of important issues where soundbites were not on unchallenged, but actively encouraged.

The inclusion of an audience was a mistake - their incessant clapping was irritating and off putting.

I could not agree more with that.   It drives me insane.    Its exactly the same problem with Any Questions on Radio 4. 

Silly reactionary panto audience booing the opponents or moronically clapping along with their chosen favourite irrelevant of what they say or how valid the point was. 

It completely ruins any true independant debate on the subjects under discussion and just turns it into an hour of tit for tat argument. 

This whole audience thing dumbs the process down.   

If I had my way it would be closed set.   Single camera Q&A and by a proper journalist.   No soundbites.   No clapometer.   No taking sides and cheering from the fan clubs.    A forensic and evidence led cross examination of both (or all) candidates.

No broadcaster would do it though.   They are far too concerned with getting the ratings in.

Edited by ECCOnoob

38 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

I could not agree more with that.   It drives me insane.    Its exactly the same problem with Any Questions on Radio 4. 

Silly reactionary panto audience booing the opponents or moronically clapping along with their chosen favourite irrelevant of what they say or how valid the point was. 

It completely ruins any true independant debate on the subjects under discussion and just turns it into an hour of tit for tat argument. 

This whole audience thing dumbs the process down.   

If I had my way it would be closed set.   Single camera Q&A and by a proper journalist.   No soundbites.   No clapometer.   No taking sides and cheering from the fan clubs.    A forensic and evidence led cross examination of both (or all) candidates.

No broadcaster would do it though.   They are far too concerned with getting the ratings in.

I agree. Politics  at the moment is very complicated, consisting of many small but important interconnecting parts.  Watching this was really taking a sledgehammer to it.

Most people don't take enough interest to in Politics to understand the subtleties and complexities of it. Especially now with Brexit and climate change thrown in to muddy the waters.

Ask people a simple question; 'Is this election about Brexit, or about what happens after?'  Even Boris and Jeremy seem to disagree on this.

I don't think this will have changed anybody's mind.

Edited by Anna B

1 hour ago, Mister M said:

I very much agree with this too. 

Edited by Anna B

1 hour ago, Anna B said:

Its been going on over THREE years , how much time do you want ? 

2 minutes ago, Penistone999 said:

Its been going on over THREE years , how much time do you want ? 

And it is due to go on for much longer with regards to trade deals and other related matters.

Get used to it. You voted for it, so suck it up, and quit the whinging and whining.

Nigel Farage giving a very good account of himself on BBC1 Question Time, Leaders Special. 

He has the floor to himself for half an hour, answering questions from the audience and getting through them at a rate of knots. 

Chaired by Fiona Bruce.

Are all the Leaders going to get this opportunity?

Apparently not. . .

Edited by Anna B