General Election 12 December.

Message added by nikki-red

This is NOT to become a second Brexit thread.

Thank you.

12 minutes ago, Pettytom said:

No.

I asked you to do a bit of simple arithmetic.

The fact that you can’t, or won’t, speaks volumes.

I’ll ask again, if politicians earned roughly £80 100 pa, how much extra tax would they pay under a Corbyn government?

No deflecting now. Just answer the question.

apelike has so much history of ambiguous / deflective answers.

The only thing I can ascertain with any certainty is that he has always been pro-Brexit

2 minutes ago, Longcol said:

The only thing I can ascertain with any certainty is that he has always been pro-Brexit

I asked him a straightforward question, in response to a rather uninformed answer that he gave to a different question.

The fact that he responded by trying to suggest that I’m either stupid, inattentive, or both, says quite a lot about him.

The answer to my question was “too little to even worry about”, by the way 😀

45 minutes ago, Pettytom said:

I asked him a straightforward question, in response to a rather uninformed answer that he gave to a different question.

The fact that he responded by trying to suggest that I’m either stupid, inattentive, or both, says quite a lot about him.

The answer to my question was “too little to even worry about”, by the way 😀

But that's what he didn't say if you look back to something vague in answer to something he said that was ambiguous to something non-commital a few pages back - you won't tie me down to anything aren't I a clever poster who doesn't support or trust anyone apart from Brexit, Brexit, Brexit because I won't give you reasons apart from (go back to line 1).

Edited by Longcol

1 hour ago, Pettytom said:

No.

I asked you to do a bit of simple arithmetic.

Yes you did and I have pointed out that I asked a question which was answered, which is the bit you seem to fail to understand.

The fact that you can’t, or won’t, speaks volumes.

No as it is not necessary given it was a question to Anna B.

I’ll ask again, if politicians earned roughly £80 100 pa, how much extra tax would they pay under a Corbyn government?

You seem to already know or can work it out for yourself so it does not need me to answer it.

No deflecting now. Just answer the question.

See above... 

1 minute ago, apelike said:

Yes you did and I have pointed out that I asked a question which was answered, which is the bit you seem to fail to understand.

No as it is not necessary given it was a question to Anna B.

You seem to already know or can work it out for yourself so it does not need me to answer it.

See above... 

I think that everyone can read the whole exchange and draw their own conclusions about your ability, or otherwise, to analyse a relatively simple bit of tax law.

If MPs earned £600 more than

they do now, how much extra tax would they pay if Corbyn wins the election? Go on, get your abacus out.

1 hour ago, Longcol said:

That's maybe because the questions were not worthy of an answer or maybe because they were just troll questions designed to either intimidate or were off topic.

1 hour ago, Longcol said:

That's about the only thing you have been correct on so far. Notice also that this is also not a brexit thread.

1 minute ago, Pettytom said:

I think that everyone can read the whole exchange and draw their own conclusions about your ability, or otherwise, to analyse a relatively simple bit of tax law.

Yes you are right I think they can, and can also tell when someone is trying to cast bait. But the problem you seem incapable of understanding is that I don't have to answer any extraneous questions on tax law just because you want me to, as I am pretty certain you also know the answer. 

1 minute ago, Pettytom said:

If MPs earned £600 more than

they do now, how much extra tax would they pay if Corbyn wins the election? Go on, get your abacus out.

Na, I will leave that one for Diane Abbott! ;)

17 hours ago, apelike said:

Do you think that figure has any connection to the fact that MP's get £79,468 or maybe it's just a coincidence that they will not have to be taxed extra as well?

If you make a daft comment like this, you should really have  the humility to recognise its daft ness.

Why would you think that having a salary close to the £80k threshold would make any difference to the ways that MPs vote? 

How much extra tax do you think they would pay under Corbyn, if they had a £600 pay rise.

13 hours ago, CaptainSwing said:

What that shows more than anything is how out of touch you are with most of your fellow citizens, 2/3 of whom (68%) think that £60,500 [90th percentile in 2017] is enough to make you "rich".

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2017/06/02/how-much-money-do-you-need-earn-year-be-rich

The survey didn't ask about £80,000 specifically, but it would presumably be quite a lot more than 68%.

I’m certainly not out of touch with my fellow citizens. But fill your boots if you think £80,000 a year makes you rich. A Dr trains for 6 years another several to become a surgeon. If people think they are rich shame on them. They deserve every penny and more.

3 hours ago, Pettytom said:

If you make a daft comment like this, you should really have  the humility to recognise its daft ness.

You still have not grasped the fact that it was a question that has been duely answered and not a comment.

3 hours ago, Pettytom said:

Why would you think that having a salary close to the £80k threshold would make any difference to the ways that MPs vote? 

I don't think that and you already know that I have never made that out to be the case. I think they call that a straw man arguement!