General Election 12 December.

Message added by nikki-red

This is NOT to become a second Brexit thread.

Thank you.

Women affected by the new pension age may have started work in 1967 so that's more than 50 years ago. Some Careers were not widely available to women then. As for all the legislation, legislation was one thing, implementation was another, with empoyers using all sorts of unscrupulous methods to wriggle out of it. Even now we are still suffering discrimination in various forms, glass ceiling for example. 

Edited by Anna B

4 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Women affected by the new pension age may have started work in 1967 so that's more than 50 years ago. Some Careers were not widely available to women then. As for all the legislation, legislation was one thing, implementation was another, with empoyers using all sorts of unscrupulous methods to wriggle out of it. Even now we are still suffering discrimination invarious forms, glass ceiling for example. 

If you believe that to be justification for the payout to the WASPI women, why is it going to such a narrow group of people. 

Women older than the WASPI age bracket would have suffered the same discrimination, if not even worse. Where is their payout? What about those younger? 

Ethnic minorities, gay people, the disabled. Where is their payout to right historic (and ongoing) discrimination? 

3 minutes ago, Pettytom said:

Tory manifesto, fact checked. (Not by themselves)

https://fullfact.org/election-2019/conservative-manifesto-2019/?fbclid=IwAR0zO5b4Ru-YXHJmXmxvzCU670llRS2ODY666t1VQz9MnY7h_VdeH2KKa9s

As ever from Johnson, a concoction of half truths and deception 

Just like every manifesto from every political party from every election ever then. 

9 minutes ago, Pettytom said:

My favourite truth manipulation is the 50 000 new nurses one.

Which one do you like best?

From whose manifesto? I imagine you are only interested when it's done by the Tory Party. 

Edited by Robin-H

22 minutes ago, Robin-H said:

From whose manifesto? I imagine you are only interested when it's done by the Tory Party. 

I was talking about the Tory manifesto, yes.

Which misleading half truth is your favourite? It won’t take you long to read it all and get back to us.

7 minutes ago, Pettytom said:

I was talking about the Tory manifesto, yes.

Which misleading half truth is your favourite? It won’t take you long to read it all and get back to us.

I don't have a 'favourite' misleading half truth, from any manifesto. 

8 minutes ago, El Cid said:

The only manefesto that counts is the party that gets the most votes, the only one that will need to do what it says.

Whilst technically true, that's a rather alarming way of looking at it. 

When the manifestoes are put together, nobody knows which party is going to get the most votes. It therefore behoves every party to make sure their manifesto is as accurate as possible. It seems like you're suggesting that parties that don't stand a chance of winning can just fill their manifesto with claptrap and rubbish. I hope you don't think that. 

17 minutes ago, Robin-H said:

Whilst technically true, that's a rather alarming way of looking at it. 

When the manifestoes are put together, nobody knows which party is going to get the most votes. It therefore behoves every party to make sure their manifesto is as accurate as possible. It seems like you're suggesting that parties that don't stand a chance of winning can just fill their manifesto with claptrap and rubbish. I hope you don't think that. 

I think the winning side will also fill their manefesto with lies. Its even more complicated whena party does not have overall control and cannot force through its policies.