Poppy Sellers.

I’ve just been shopping in Hillsborough and bought my poppy from some sellers in The Arcade. The man was saying that each year they are getting more short of sellers. I suppose it’s the age of the sellers as well. What a pity they can’t get some of the young unemployed to volunteer for this voluntary job.

I have spent a week looking to buy a poppy but yesterday when in town I called in a newsagents, no poppies so I walked further on and just by off chance called in the flower shop on Surrey Street who did have some on their counter but sorry I didn't buy any flowers.

I did see some in Tesco today.

3 minutes ago, jaffa1 said:

I have spent a week looking to buy a poppy but yesterday when in town I called in a newsagents, no poppies so I walked further on and just by off chance called in the flower shop on Surrey Street who did have some on their counter but sorry I didn't buy any flowers.

I did see some in Tesco today.

There certainly doesn’t seem to be as many poppy sellers as in previous years.

All the three services, Navy,  Army,  Air force cadets sell poppies and give their time for free. Unfortunately, the adults who are required to supervise them are generally speaking working people who cannot afford to take unpaid time from work. 

It's also a sad fact that an adult has to be present, not to stop the cadets from misbehaving, but to stop people from misbehaving towards the cadets or older children bullying the cadets.

What a sad mixed up world.

1 hour ago, pattricia said:

There certainly doesn’t seem to be as many poppy sellers as in previous years.

I went in the market at Crystal Peaks Monday and didn't see anyone selling poppies, I am sure they used to have a stall at the entrance to the market.

At the Metro shopping centre in Gateshead and Eldon Square shopping centre in Newcastle the cadets from all the armed forces should be there at the weekend selling poppies.  They take over the place, there is no shortage of them, but it’s nice to see these young people in their smart uniforms.  

I’d be surprised if there isn’t poppy sellers at Meadow Hall this Saturday.